Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

My engine runes doe about minutes and theb shuts down.

Customer Question

My engine runes doe about for 4 minutes and theb shuts down. after about 2 minutes I can start it again after which its shuts down again
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 2 years ago.
Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !!Need to determine if it is loosing spark or fuel. Take a spare spark plug, and as soon as it quits, attach the spare spark plug to the plug wire, and with it grounded to the metal of the engine, see if you have spark. If it has spark, we have to assume it is loosing fuel. It has an electric fuel solenoid in the carburetor base, when engine is cold, turn key on and off, and listen for this solenoid to click each time key is turned. Learn the sound, then when engine quits, see if you hear the solenoid as you turn key on and off. No click, no fuel! The solenoid has to stay open for engine to run. Requires a full 12 volts to work.