Donald
Donald, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  I have 25+ years of experience repairing 2 & 4 cycle engines
72377906

How do I tell if my Exmark LXS25KD605 has a bad wheel motor

Customer Question

How do I tell if my Exmark LXS25KD605 has a bad wheel motor or pump? It has 2 wheel motors and 2 separate pumps. No leaks, oil is full and good, air has been purged by exmark recommendations. when you are driving along and pull the right wheel stick to reverse it will not spin the tire backwards it will stop though. If you do the same to the other side it will spin the tire backwards. to get the right wheel to go backwards you have to shake the right stick back and forth (neutral to reverse a few times then it will spin the tire backwards)
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Donald replied 2 years ago.
Hello and thank you for choosing Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will do my very best to get you the answer you need to your question.
Unless you see some obvious signs of wear, or leaks, on either your wheel motor or your pump, there is no way to determine with certainty, which part is at fault without using a Flow Meter. The use of a Flow Meter is the only way to be sure. If your local repair shop has this tool, it will be beneficial, to get them to run a flow test for you. A pump is expensive, and the wheel motor is expensive. It is best to know which part is at fault, before making a purchase of new parts.
Check for leaks on both parts, and for leaks at each fitting. Check your drive belt for wear, and make sure it is not slipping. Check your fluid for contamination. We can continue from here. Thanks!