Briggs-Fan
Briggs-Fan, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  over 15 years experience in small engine repair, multiple certifications
75998144

I have a poulan 300ex and it starts and runs fine until I engage

Customer Question

i have a poulan 300ex and it starts and runs fine until I engage blade. it will then run for a short period of time and just die very rapidly. i know belt is loose but cant figure why it is dieing on me?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 2 years ago.
Hi my name is ***** ***** welcome to just answer. , with the tractor off , reach under the deck and make sure none of the blades are loose , also once it starts dying , it you disengage the blades will it stay running ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The blades turn easily when mower is off (I just replaced them, the oil filter, fuel filter, oil, and fuel). When it starts to die disengaging blades doesn't keep it running. I know my belt is loose because when I engage blades there is a delay in them starting to pick up speed - they seem to pick up speed slowly. It doesn't matter whether I'm cutting or not (freewheeling blades over pavement) it still dies out after between 5-10 minutes after engaging blades? I can rotate belt by hand and all pulleys turn as well.
Ok. I'm making sure the spindles aren't seized , if you don't engage the blades it will stay running ??
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
When I disengage blade the blades keep turning slowly - belt adjustment? It did die on me without engaging blade but lasted longer - once it's hot it doesn't run long and eventually won't start. I was told spark plug wire, coil, kill switches don't seem bad? It's a bitch
No I don't think it's a belt issue because it will die without the blades engaged eventually , if it has to cool down to run good again I'm thinking it's a compression or spark issue . Could be loosing compression and the motor dies faster under the load of running the blades