Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

18hp briggs motor stalls but will pick back up if you turn off & then back on.

Customer Question

Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 2 years ago.
Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! Check the electric solenoid in the base of the carburetor, it may be dropping out, and killing the engine. It plugs the main jet in the carburetor. it has to have 12 volts to keep it open! Sounds like it can be dropping out, and when you turn it off and back on, resets, just to do it again!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Can it be replaced
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 2 years ago.
It is a replaceable part, or you can disable the old one by removing the inner pin that closes the main jet, and re-installing as a dummy. It is anti-backfire solenoid and is not fuel shutoff, it's purpose is to keep engine from backfiring when the key is shutoff and engine is hot. Older models did not have them.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks l will try that
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 2 years ago.
OK< thanks, ***** ***** and accept if satisfied. Thank you!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Does it twist off or can I just break the tip off. It is being contrary. Thanks
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 2 years ago.
Sorry, I was out doing honey -do's. The tip will need to be cut off, or ripped out!