Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

I have a Husqvarna 2348. I started it yesterday first

Customer Question

I have a Husqvarna 2348. I started it yesterday for the first time this year and shortly thereafter it began emitting blue smoke, like it's burning oil. It started immediately, so that leads me to believe the plugs are not fouled, as I think they might be if the head gasket is blown. Any ideas? Problem is especially bad when engaging the clutch.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  James W replied 2 years ago.
My first reaction is to ask you to SMELL the OIL. Does it smell like gasoline? if so, the problem maybe simply that the float is stuck and allowing too much gasoline to pas through and it has been draining into the oil pan (crankcase). This thins the oil, and causes it to burn. ALSO, it cause the oil not to lubricate well, ad continuing to run the engine on oil and gas mixture WILL cause permanent damage to your engine. Do this simple test for me, and then let me know. If it DOES smell like gas, then you will need to work on the carburetor. There may be something that has prevented the needle and seat to mate properly and the gas is not being shut off completely. After working on the carb, of course, you would need to change the tainte oil. Let me know if this is the case. If not, then we shall reset and move to the next few possibilities.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I'll try this at the first opportunity. We're having heavy rain today so it may be tomorrow.

Thanks

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I've checked that and smell no gas.

I started it yesterday and mowed with it for a few minutes to check symptoms. There is bluish smoke coming out of the exhaust port on the front right very faintly. But when you engage the clutch, it belches a puff of bluish white smoke.

Power seems good, engine runs well. Head gasket? Wouldn't that cause a loss of power?