Briggs-Fan
Briggs-Fan, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  over 15 years experience in small engine repair, multiple certifications
75998144

New battery, ignition switch, Fuse, and personal

Customer Question

###-##-####
New battery, ignition switch, Fuse, and personal switch under seat. When I turn the key it just clicks. Took cover off and starter is not trying to engage. The click seems to be under the gas tank.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Briggs-Fan replied 2 years ago.
Hi my name is ***** ***** welcome to just answer. Have you replaced the starter solenoid? . If not that is a dead tale sign of a bad solenoid. What happens when a solenoid goes bad is it is supposed to deliver the power from the battery to the starter when the key is turned , when the solenoid is bad it doesn't and will just click . You can find the solenoid by tracing the thick cable from the starter back and the other end will be bolted to the solenoid . It has 2 post and at least 1 blade terminal that a wire hooks up to . When you change it unhook the battery first and mark which wires go where.
http://www.searspartsdirect.com/craftsman-riding-mower-tractor-parts/model-917272751/0247/1509200/P0210057/00001.html 0v490ea Spec.# ***** Part 43 is your solenoid