Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

Small Engine

My name is ***** ***** i have an issue with my yardman

Customer Question
Hi, my name is *****...
Hi, my name is ***** ***** i have an issue with my yardman 12.5hp mower. The gas has blead into the engine and it wont start. I drained the oil and pulled the sparkplug out to get the excess gas out. It turned over and was running for a minute, but stopped abruptly and now wont turn over. Help me please
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Small Engine
5/2/2015
Technician: Briggs-Fan, Small Engine Technician replied 2 years ago
Briggs-Fan
Briggs-Fan, Small Engine Technician
Hi my name is ***** ***** welcome to just answer. The problem with the engine is the carburetor is allowing gas to get into the crankcase and mix with the oil . The reason that happens is because the needle doesn't stop the gas flow when sealing with the inlet seat. In most cases the seat is brass and wears , but the way yo fix it is a full rebuild of the carburetor which means replacing the brass seat which is pressed in . My concern is it sounds like your motor locked up due to more gas getting in the oil etc . You can try to unlock it by removing the spark plug , put oil or wd40 in the cylinder and use a socket and breaker bar on the nut on the flywheel and turn it reverse rotation hopefully unlocking the engine , then remove and rebuild the carburetor and then drain and replace oil and filter before trying to start
Briggs-Fan
Briggs-Fan
Briggs-Fan, Small Engine Technician