Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

Craftsman Lawn Mower###-##-####with Briggs and Stratton engine.

Customer Question

Craftsman Lawn Mower###-##-####with Briggs and Stratton engine. Will only start if I use starting fluid. Once started runs smoothly.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 2 years ago.
Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !!
Check the throttle linkage to see that when you go to the choke position, that the choke is closing. Likely the choke is not closing when you move the lever. You adjust the lower cable location, to give it more travel .
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

thanks Curtis but this particular model does not have a choke cable. It is an automatic choke. Regarless checking the throttle linkage is a good place to start. I'll update you on how it goes.

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 2 years ago.
Engine model number is ***** shown in the sears manual. If this is the auto choke, it may have binding in the linkage. Check the linkage, and see if the choke does close when you try to start, it should flop closed for easy start.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Curtis - Its not the linkage. I started up the engine with the air filter off. Engine cold, choke was closed. A few pulls on start chord. Nothing.

Then I hit it with 1 short shot of starter fluid, engine fired right up, ran smoothly. Put the air filter back on and I let it run for 10 minutes. Shut it off, checked choke, now open. tried to start it back up, pulled chord several times, nothing. pulled air filter off, short blast of starter fluid, fired right up and ran smoothly. Matter of fact, I mowed the whole lawn..... Is there a vacuum that is supposed to be created when I pull start that draws gas into the carb?