Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

Briggs/Stratton 5.5HP model 137202. Only 20-25 hrs run time.

Briggs/Stratton 5.5HP model 137202. Only 20-25 hrs run time. Always started first try. In storage 3yrs. Cranked but would not stay running. Drained and cleaned tank. Rebuilt carb. Now it won't crank at all. It has good spark. What have I done wrong?

Curtis B. :

Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !!

Curtis B. :

Did you check the tank tube of any blockage ? And the diaphragm in the carburetor is the fuel pump and has to pump fuel from the tank. Did you replace the diaphragm? If so, the assembly might ne wrong, ot fuel tube from tank plugged.??

Curtis B. :

I would suggest going back and double checking the assembly of the carburetor, using the link I sent as guide.

Customer:

I think I am good at least through the fuel pump. I think my problem is downstream from there. I will remove the welsh plug and see what I can see. I think the link is all I needed. Thanks.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Curtis.

The thing still won't start. The pump is pumping fuel. There is a good spark at the plug. There is good compression. I removed the welch plug from the end and blew air through the three orifices. They are open. There is a small screw that comes into the right side of the carb. It has a hole running perpendicular through it and a very small hole in the end that intersects with the other hole. It is clear. The only thing I haven't done is remove the small welsh plug from the side. I took the rope starter off the side and tried to start with a drill. Nothing. It looks like there is fuel getting to throat of the carb. This thing still looks new.

If you put fuel direct into the cylinder will it fire for few seconds? If it does, the carburetor has to be the problem. You are dealing with a carburetor that new can be bought for about $65 on ebay