Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

why wont my 18 hp briges&straton engine start and stay runnung…

why won't my 18 hp...
why won't my 18 hp briges&straton engine start and stay runnung when it is hot from running?
9/14/2013
Technician: Curtis B., Technician replied 8 years ago
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Curtis B. :

Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !!

Curtis B. :

Model number of the engine? Example(NNN) NNN-NNNNE1

Curtis B. :

How old is mower? Ir starts and runs ok cold, but looses power and won't restart when hot?

Curtis B. :

Flat head engine or OHV engine?

Customer:

I will get that information tomorrow and forward it to you. Thank you for your time.

Curtis B. :

Thank you!

Customer:

earlier today i sent you the information you requested previously.

Curtis B. :

I see no information!

Customer:

here is that info again: craftsman lt 1ooo 18hp ohv intek family:YBSXS-5012VF 274826

Customer:

bought mower in 2003

Curtis B. :

That is a family number but not the model number. I assume it is single cylinder , overhead valve engine?

Curtis B. :

If that is the case, take a spare spark plug, and when it dies, remove the spark plug cable, attach the cold plug and with plug grounded, see if you have spark.

Curtis B. :

If you have no spark when hot, you have a bad coil/magneto and will need to replace the coil.

Curtis B. :

Here i show the Briggs ignition works, and all Briggs use the same type ignition.

Curtis B. :

give me the model number of the mower from under the seat and I will see if the engine is listed in the parts book. The model will be exampleNNN-NN-NNNN/p>

Customer:

the model number NNN-NN-NNNN/p>

Curtis B. :

31H777-0202-E1 looks like model of engine. The coil is

Briggs and Stratton 795315
Curtis B. :

This would cause engine to quit when hot and not restart until cold. Is this what is happening?

Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

Curtis,

Your answer to the problem that the magneto needed to be replaced was exactly right. I changed out the magneto and the mower is running fine.

Thank you,

John Bowie

Good job! Thank you!