Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

I have a 7kW Generac generator which cycles for the expected…

I have a 7kW Generac...
I have a 7kW Generac generator which cycles for the expected 12 minutes and shuts down however, then almost immediately starts again and continues this cycle.

I tried to reset the exercise timer using the procedure in the owner's manual and noticed that after I pull and re insert the fuse the LEDs are blinking correctly, however, as soon as I set the rocker switch to auto the LEDs extinguish without touching the set button

Any help is appreciated
7/16/2013
Technician: The Home Smithy, Small Engine Tech replied 9 years ago
The Home Smithy, Small Engine Tech

Hi. Welcome to Just answewr.

If the watch dog light (blinking LED that tells you the system is monitoring) is not blinking steadly when the unit should be in standby mode then you have a problem with the triac. Unfortunately this usually means replaceing the main control board.

To test the triac you will need a specil meter that you place the triac in to test.

If you like you can access the board and locate the triac. It is a three legged component that has a 3/8" square head on it. Get the numbers off of it and go to Radio shack and get one the same or of equal value and you can just solder it right to the legs of the origonal one.

Please let me know if you have any other immediate concerns.
If not please select a positive rating at this time. Doing so will not close your question, and after you rate my service you may ask any followup questions you like. All at no additional charge.
Thank you for the opportunity to serve you.
Best, Smitty
**How to rate your expert**

The system ready light is on as it should be. the remaining monitoring lights--low battery,low oil pressure, high oil temp, overspeed, rpm sensor loss, and overcrank all blink as per the manual.

According to the manual I should be able to set the rocker switch(auto off manual) from off to auto and the unit should start with the leds still blinking. Then I am to press the set exercise button which will extinguish the blinking leds and it will set the time and day for the units weekly exercise.

The issue is the leds exeiniguish as soon as the rocker is set from off to auto and I believe that when the set exercise switch is depressed that no day and time is set. The end result is the unit runs thru its 12 minute run ,turns off and immediately starts again.

Is that the triac area?

Thanks

George

George, I was informed that this unit does not use a triac type system. As I am not completely sure of this model I will opt out and another expert may have the information you need.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Technician: Hank F., Technician replied 9 years ago
Hank F.
Hank F., Technician
Hello!
Thank you for choosing Just Answer for the solution to your problem.
My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am going to assist you with this.

What are the Item number and Serial number of the genset?
.

Hank

The following is a complete listing of what is on the data plate.

Model (NNN) NNN-NNNN/p>

Serial (NNN) NNN-NNNN/p>

Controller p/n 0J0064

Volts 120/240

amps 58.3/29.2

Thanks!

I need to know if you are connected to utility, or if this is an off-grid application.
Also, at any time during this process, do any of the fault lights come on and remain steady?
.

The unit is connected to utility and no fault lights come on during the process.

Ok
I have run your serial number, and find that you are just a few days out of warranty. That stinks.

The symptoms you are describing actually indicate a couple of different issues.
Let's hope the controller is not bad.

The first thing I need you to do is to is to open up the control panel.
Inside, you will see 2 junction blocks. One of them will have 2 small wires marked N1 and N2. Set your meter to ACV, and connect one meter lead to each of these wires. You should read 240V.
How much voltage do you get?

Next, pull the fuse from the controller. Disconnect the negative battery cable from the battery, wait 5 minutes, and reconnect the battery cable.
Now reinstall the fuse.
Does it still do the same thing, or does it act correctly now?
.

I am reading 240v at N1 N2

I pulled the fuse ,then removed the ground from the battery.

I re inserted the fuse and moved the rocker switch from from OFF to AUTO and the lights indicated correctly------- green System ready

and the remainder flashing red.

I pressed the Set Exercise and held it for more than 5 seconds.

All red leds extinguished and the System ready light remained on and the engine started. The system rain for 12 minutes and then shut down-----------as it should, however, 13 minutes the system started again. At that point I turned the system off

I

Then your controller is bad, and will need to be replaced.
This controller is a sealed unit, and there are no user serviceable parts inside.
.
Hank F.
Hank F., Technician