Donald
Donald, Small Engine Technician
Experience:  I have 25+ years of experience repairing 2 & 4 cycle engines
72377906

MTD riding lawn mower yard machine is stuck in gear and the

MTD riding lawn mower yard machine is stuck in gear and the wheels are locked. It is shifting, i can hear it clicking from forward neutral to reverse.

Customer:

Hello and thank you for choosing Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do my very best to assist you with your question. How are you today?

JACUSTOMER-zkm8xsib- :

ok

Customer:

Thanks ... Do you have the model number for your mower available? With this information, I can look up your mower.

JACUSTOMER-zkm8xsib- :

model#13AN771G729

Customer:

I believe your brake lever is not releasing and this is causing your rear wheels to lock. After I look up your mower, you and I can do some troubleshooting.

Customer:

It appears that you are experiencing difficulties staying connected to our chat.

JACUSTOMER-zkm8xsib- :

can you read this chat?

Customer:

Yes, thanks, XXXXX XXXXX it now. I will attach a picture for you. This picture will assist us with troubleshooting your problem.

Customer:

Full Size Image

Customer:

Did this problem happen all at once or was it gradual?

JACUSTOMER-zkm8xsib- :

It wasn't gradual, just all of a sudden stopped working. And because it's stuck in gear i can't get any spark

Customer:

Thanks for your response. Let look at the picture I attached. Number 26 is a 7/16" bolt. There are two of these bolts. In the middle of these two bolt is a 1/2" lock nut.

Customer:

That 1/2" lock nut is used to adjust your brakes.

Customer:

I would like for you to use a 1/2" wrench and turn this lock nut counter clockwise in half turn increments.

JACUSTOMER-zkm8xsib- :

ok, give me a minute to do that

Customer:

This test will indicate to us if your brakes are locked and causing your wheel not to turn.

JACUSTOMER-zkm8xsib- :

i did it about a half a turn and something broke loose and the wheels aren't locked now.

Customer:

Since your transaxle will shift from forward, neutral, and reverse, your transaxle should be in good condition.

Customer:

Bingo ... we did it!

JACUSTOMER-zkm8xsib- :

just tried to turn it over and still no spark.

Customer:

Your engine will turn over and spin, but will not start up and continue running?

JACUSTOMER-zkm8xsib- :

there's no spark to the spark plug. i thought the reason was because it was still in gear. The plug is brand new.

Customer:

What type engine do you have? Briggs & Stratton, Tecumseh? Kohler?

JACUSTOMER-zkm8xsib- :

briggs & stratton 5 hp

Customer:

How did you test your spark?

JACUSTOMER-zkm8xsib- :

took the plug, attached it to the plug wire grounded it to the manifold and anohter person turned the key

Customer:

Thanks for information ... you will either have a faulty safety switch or a faulty ignition coil. i can tell you how to test to be sure.

Customer:

If you remove your engine shroud, you will see your ignition coil. There will be one wire that plugs to the terminal on your coil. Unplug this wire and retest for spark.

Customer:

If you get spark with this wire unplugged, then your coil is good. If you doesn't get spark, then your coil is at fault.

JACUSTOMER-zkm8xsib- :

did not get any spark with wire unplugged

Customer:

I afraid that you may have to replace your ignition coil. With that wire unplugged, you eliminated all of your safety switches relating to your coil. I have something else for you to try first.

Customer:

There is a magnet on your flywheel. Take a screwdriver and hold it near this magnet. Check to see if the magnet will draw the screwdriver strongly to it. Also check to see if this magnet has a lot of rust on it

JACUSTOMER-zkm8xsib- :

The whole flywheel and coil have a lot of rust

Customer:

Ok, if you clean the rust from your magnet and your coil, this may solve your problem. I can tell you how to do it.

JACUSTOMER-zkm8xsib- :

Okay I can take care of it from here. Thank you for your help.

Customer:

You are welcomed ... Remember to set the gap between your coil and flywheel at .010

Hello Mr. Cooper,

This is just a follow up to thank you for the positive rating and thank you for choosing Just Answer. If you ever more problems, I will do my very best to get you the answer you need.

Sincerely,
Donald
Hello Mr. Cooper,

Sincerely,
Donald
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

hi, i installed a new ignition coil and still no spark. Any ideas?

I am away from my computer. I will respond to you as soon as I return ... Thanks
I am back with you now. There is a wire that plugs to a terminal on your ignition coil. Unplug this wire, and lets see if your ignition will fire. If so, then you have either a faulty safety switch, or a wire that is going to ground. Did you set the gap between your coil and flywheel at .010? Also check your flywheel magnet to see if it will strongly draw a screwdriver to it.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

gap is set to .010 and unplugged the wire and still no spark. Which wire might be going to ground?

Did you check your flywheel magnets to see if they are still strong? When you unplugged the wire from your ignition coil, that eliminated all of the safety switches that are relating to the ground circuit that is going to your ignition coil. Unless you possibly purchased a defective ignition coil, you should get fire with that wire unplugged. Without this wire plug to your coil, your ground circuit is totally eliminated.Do you have model numbers available from your engine? Also the manufacturer? I will work with you until we find our problem.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes i tried the flywheel magnet and it's strong. Sorry, this was a reconditioned engine when i bought it, so there's no model number that i can fi nd.

Do you know if it is a Briggs & Stratton, Tecumseh, Kohler? Do you know the HP of your engine? There are 2 poles that your ignition coil mounts to, did you clean these too, after you cleaned the rust from your flywheel magnets? Is your coil brand new or a good used one?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Briggs and Stratton, hp 17.5, i cleaned the poles that the coil mounts to and the flywheel magnets. the coil is brand new.

You have covered all of your bases. I personally have never witness this situation before. Normally, if there is not any wires connected to an ignition coil, you should get spark from it. Your spark is produced as the magnets on your flywheel passes your coil. If you are not getting a spark at all, I honestly believe you could possibly have a defective coil, although it is new.

I would like to suggest that you purchase an inline spark tester from your local auto parts store. They are very inexpensive. This way we can give your ignition a definite test.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

i'll give it a try. thanks

If you have not done so yet, replace your spark plug with a new one. Unplug the wire from your coil again ... put about a teaspoon of fuel in your carburetor .... crank your engine over and see what happens. This is another test we can try.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi, i put it all back together and fired it up--works now! I'm not sure exactly what it was. Maybe there was a spark and i couldn't see it? Anyway, thanks for your help!!

Glad to hear that it worked out for you.