Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

i Have trouble every year with the initial starting of my snowblower

Customer Question

i Have trouble every year with the initial starting of my snowblower tecumseh hsk60. I always run the old gas out at the end of every year. What am I doing wrong or what should I be doing? This year is no exception and I still have not been able to get it started.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 4 years ago.

curtis b :

Pull spark plug and with it grounded , see if you have spark. If you have spark, put about a teaspoon of fuel into the spark plug hole, re-install the spark plug and see if it will start for few seconds.

curtis b :

If it does , the carburetor has needle valve and float stuck.

curtis b :

Let me know, we can go from here.

curtis b :

Thank you.

JACUSTOMER-lolcessj- :

New Champion spark plugs gave no spark; but an old made in china plug did. Teaspoon of gas into spark plug hole and still could not get it started.

curtis b :

Did it fire at all with fuel in the cylinder? Is the spark bright blue or dull yellow? Do you have the complete engine number? Is this engine old enough to have points and condenser? If so, they mount under the flywheel and need to be changed. If a later model with electronic ignition, remove the small wire from the coil, and see if it will fire, this is the kill wire.

JACUSTOMER-lolcessj- :

New Champion plugs produced no spark; but an old made in China knockoff did spark. I put a little gas in the spark plug hole; but was not able to get it started.

curtis b :

Did you read my question above? Spark bright? Engine numbers? Points and condenser? Have you tried it with the kill wire removed?