Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

455 deere lawn tractor, deck quits while using, let it set…

Customer Question
455 john deere lawn tractor...
455 john deere lawn tractor, deck quits while using, let it set for a while deck will start again, quit three times mowing about an acre.
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Small Engine
9/10/2012
Technician: Michelle-mod, Moderator replied 5 years ago
Michelle-mod
Michelle-mod, Moderator

Hi, I'm a moderator for this topic. I've been working hard to find a Professional to assist you right away, but sometimes finding the right Professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!

what is it you need

I 'am in no hurry, need answer.

Technician: James W, Small Engine Troubleshooting Expert replied 5 years ago
James W
James W, Small Engine Troubleshooting Expert
Greetings,

My name is***** and I am here to help the best I can. My goal is 100% satisfaction. Let's get started. I am so sorry it took so long to get with you.

There are only a few possible causes of this problem.

Of course, the Clutch itself could be overheating and shutting off until the electromagnet can cool down.

Also. a battery problem will cause major trouble with the PTO. It takes an enormous amount of battery energy to run an electric clutch. So if your battery is low...or goes down, the pto cannot work.

If you bought a battery from a discount store. There is a good possibility that either the battery was bad right off the bat or that it didn't have the required 350 cca that is the minimum for an electric clutch to work correctly for any length of time.

If the battery keeps going down, you could also have a problem with the charging system. Just a note about charging systems in a lawn mower. YOU CANNOT EVER JUMP-START A LAWNMOWER WITH AN AUTOMOBILE OR YOU WILL RUIN THE CHARGING SYSTEM OF THE MOWER. tHE SYSTEM OF THE CAR WILL BLOW THE MOWER'S CHARGING SYSTEM.

You'd have to have the charging system in the mower checked.

The PTO switch could also be bad causing this problem.

Also check the wires that attached to the pto clutch. If they came loose, it won't work.

Last but not least, the pto itself could be bad.