Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

I have a Cub Cadet Lawn Tractor Model 2140 with an Onan Elite…

I have a Cub Cadet...
I have a Cub Cadet Lawn Tractor Model 2140 with an Onan Elite E140-H engine. Starting having problems that engine would start and run fine for few minutes, and then start missing, losing speed while moving, and die. If cut mowing deck off, would eventually catch back up to speed only to start same sequence again 30-60 seconds later. Would do this same cut out both when mowing deck was engaged and not engaged. Seems to run okay on low speed, but dies out at higher speed and under load.

Replaced spark plug and gas filter. Still experience same problem. Could this be a fuel pump problem or something else??
8/25/2012
Technician: RUSS, SERVICE TECHNICIAN replied 9 years ago
RUSS
RUSS, SERVICE TECHNICIAN

RUSS :

Hi, this is Russ,! I will give you the benefit of 28 years experience and teaching. You have a fuel supply problem and I would certainly rebuild or replace the fuel pump. I am confident that is the problem as long as you replaced the fuel filter. THANKS

RUSS :

BY THE WYA, THAT IS A GREAT ENGINE! GOD BLESS

RUSS :

sorry for typo's

RUSS :

One other thing, make sure the hole in the gas cap is open...if not it can produce the same symptoms!

Customer:

Russ,

I was guessing I had a fuel supply problem, but if I have a fuel pump problem, doesn't the pump normally fail and not pump normally under load for 4-5 minutes and then start this cut off, loss power sequence.

RUSS :

Not necessarily, beiung a vacuum operated diaphragm pump, it can do this, but please take a look at the gas cap vent first....I enlarged the hole in my own and it worked great after that!

RUSS :

sorry typing skills stink!

RUSS :

I am going to leave very shortly, is there anything further I can do?

Customer:

Will check the gas cap venting -- creating a vacuum in gas tank would cause similiar problem as a dirty fuel filter I think. Air filter is reasonably clean -- if filter were dirty, would it cause the problem I am see because of the air fuel mixture problem at higher speeds. Trying to rule out other possible problems before replacing pump.

RUSS :

correct good luck !

Customer:

Russ,

By way of trouble shooting this problem, here is what I think the best approach is to rule out possible associated problems before replacing the fuel pump based on your comments:

1. Replace fuel filter -- already done.

2. Make sure vent gas cap is open -

3. Air filter -- could be causal problem if dirty

4. If 1, 2, and 3 are okay, then fuel pump has to be faulty ???

Is this what you think is the right way to fix??

RUSS :

Sorry, just had to fchange computers.....if iar filter is dirty, it runs rich and would blow black smoke....but not act like you describe...

RUSS :

if one and two are ok, i STRONGLY suggest rebuild the pump!

Customer:

So air filter really would not cause this problem. The gas cap venting is the only other potential causal problem since fuel filter has been replaced. If vent is clean, then pump must be faulty is botXXXXX XXXXXne - correct.

RUSS :

YES, please remember I do not have my ears and hands on this, so this is what I STRONGLY THINK IS THE PROBLEM, 100% SURENO 90% SURE, YES

Customer:

Thanks - makes sense

RUSS :

THANK YOU AND GOD BLESS!

RUSS
RUSS, SERVICE TECHNICIAN