Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

I have a Sears craftsman LT 1000 kohler 1600 Will not enage…

I have a Sears craftsman...
I have a Sears craftsman LT 1000 kohler 1600
Will not enage gears forward / backwards
7/17/2012
Jeremy R.
Jeremy R., Technician
Hi, My name isXXXXX you for letting me try and assist you with your problem.
Have you checked under the mower to see if the drive belt to the transmission has come off a pulley or broken?
yes, does not appear to be a problem

yes, does not appear to be a problem

it is loose but still intact

Alright.
If it's loose there's a problem When your foot is off the brake it should be very snug.
Being loose will let it slip so It may have come off of one of the pulleys it goes around.

If you can get me the model number I can get you a belt diagram for you to compare to your mower if that will help.
You'll make it much eaiser to inspect if you take the mower deck off so you can really get a good look at what's going on up there.

If it's not really that loose and the transmisison pulley is turning and it's not been disengaged.
The transmission is most likely no good.
Check that stuff and let me know if you need more help.

how much of a problem is it to take the mower deck off

I do not have tools other than regular :homeowners

It doesn't take any special tools.
There's just spring clips and pins that support the deck.
Lower it down and remove the clips and pins that connect to the deck.
Also if you have the model number I can get you the manual that explains this process with pictures.
model #NNN-NN-NNNN
Click Here.
Page 23 begins the section that explains mower deck removal with pictures.
Let me know if I can do anything else for you.
Jeremy R.
Jeremy R., Technician

I am looking at page 23 and will have to take unit apart to inspect

thanks.

Sure no problem.

thats it

thank you

I will check the belt etc tomorrow.