Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

I have a John Deere STX38 and when I ingage the blades they…

Customer Question
I have a John Deere...
I have a John Deere STX38 and when I ingage the blades they come on and go off quickly and will not stay ingaged. What would cause this?
Submitted: 10 years ago.Category: Small Engine
Answered in 1 hour by:
6/15/2012
Technician: lwwade, Small Engine Technician replied 10 years ago
lwwade
lwwade, Small Engine Technician

lwwade :

hi let me see if i can help, this sounds like your seat safety switch, you can bypass it to check if this is the problem by unplugging and use a jumper wire on the switch, so you will have continued current, if it solves the problem you will need to replace the switch, with a new one due to this being a safety issue, hope this helps

Customer:

I have already check that.

Customer:

what is the sequence to activate the blades?

lwwade :

sorry, i was looking at what you said you had already tried, and it only said switch that engages blades, (pto switch) if you have a good charge on the battery, the only things that would cause this problem would be seat safety switch, are the pto switch itself, i would also check the wires running from the switch to your pto clutch to make sure there is not a short in the wiring,and also check to be sure the connections are tight,

Customer:

What does pto stand for?if i stand at the rear of the mower and lift the seat there is what looks like a relay on the right side. What does that do?

lwwade :

pto, power take off, the relay would be you ignition solenoid, that just works to engage your starter when you turn your key to start.

Customer:

were is the pto switch located and what does it energize when turned on?

lwwade :

as you stated above that you checked the switch that engages the blades, that switch is the pto switch, it engages the clutch that turns on your blades, the clutch is on the bottom of the engine that the belt goes around

Customer:

how do i access the clutch?

lwwade :

your pto clutch is on your engine shaft under your engine, if the wires running down to the clutch look ok, connection are tight, then your problem will either be your seat switch are you pto switch, i would put the jumper wire on the seat switch and try if you still have the same problem then it will be the pto switch,

Customer:

is it possible the clutch is bad?

lwwade :

not likely if it turns on, when a clutch goes out they most of the time they will act like they are lockup and want spin at all and will kill your engine, are start making a bad grinding noise,

Customer:

if i put the pto switch to on and try to start the engine it will not start. this tells me the switch is fine correct?

lwwade :

most of the time but when you do engage the blades and they come on and then off, you could still have a short in the switch, causing this even though when switch is pulled engine want start, the wires plugging into the switch go to different things, that lets the engine and blades operate, that is the reason i suggested checking seat switch first, that way you will know for sure which one is bad instead of spending money on a switch you dont need,

Customer:

i just found the ground wire going to the clutch very loose. tightened it and everything is fine. thanks for your help.

lwwade
lwwade, Small Engine Technician