Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

Small Engine

We have a 4kw RV generator in our tioga. Was using it for

Customer Question
We have a 4kw RV...
We have a 4kw RV generator in our tioga. Was using it for the first time last weekend and accidently shut off the battery system while the generator was running. Now I can't get it to restart. I get the 3 red flashing lights indicating service required when I try to restart. Is there a reset button?
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Small Engine
5/30/2012
Technician: Hank F., Technician replied 5 years ago
Hank F.
Hank F., Technician
Hello!
Thank you for choosing Just Answer for the solution to your problem.
My name is Hank, and I am going to assist you with this.

What is the full model number of the genset?

What is the actual fault code you are getting?

Go to the genset and use the switch on the set itself.
Press 'Stop' 3 times within 5 seconds. The light in the switch will start flashing.
If the light flashes 3 times, pauses for 3 seconds, and flashes 3 more times, press and immediately release 'Stop' one more time.

This will put the controller into Fault Read Mode.

The light will flash (X) number of times, pause for 1 second, and flash for (X) number of times again. Count the flashes before and after the pause.

This will be the Fault Code.

Example: 2 rapid flashes, 1 second pause, 5 rapid flashes is a Fault Code 25.

There may be more than one Fault Code stored, so watch the light very carefully. If there is more than one code, it will display them all in order, and then start over again.

Be very careful not to misread a first level fault code (single digit code) as a second level fault code (double digit code).

The way to tell the difference is by the length of the pauses.

There is a 1 second pause between digits of a second level code, and a 3 second pause between codes.

For example, if it is flashing 2 times, 1 second pause, flashing 2 times, 3 second pause and repeating, then this is a second level fault code of 22.

If it is flashing 2 times, 3 second pause, flashing 2 times, 3 second pause and repeating, then this is a first level fault code of 2.

What Fault Code are you getting?

.
I'm getting 3 -2

.
.
.
.
4kyfa26100k
If you are not even getting a click when you press the start button, we need to look at the control system.

On the starter solenoid, there are 2 small white wires.
One of them is marked K1-I J1-16, and the other is marked K1-S GND.
Remove the wire marked K1-I J1-16, and test it for 12V while pressing the start button.
Is there 12V present or not?
.
Will check today.
OK
.

Haven't checked the voltage (don't have a volt meter handy), but I not only get a click, I get a whining sound from the small black box next to the batteries, which is adjacent to the fuse box. There is definately a drain on the power when I hit the start as well. The interior lights get real dim.

The solenoid has 2 white wires on top, but no numbering is visible. The connections all look good and the batteries are less than a year old, the generator only has 26 hours on it. All very clean.

I have no idea what this black box may be.
But you need to get your power issue fixed before trying to work on the genset.
Just because the batteries are less than a year old, does not mean that they have gone bad.
Whatever that black box is, it may also be the problem.
Hank F.
Hank F.
Hank F., Technician