Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

my generac residential unit will not set the automatic cycle…

my generac residential unit will...
my generac residential unit will not set the automatic cycle the light come on but the set button doesnt make it start to set the weekly cycle it is about 7yrs old,its a 1500 watt unit
5/18/2012
Technician: Hank F., Technician replied 10 years ago
Hank F.
Hank F., Technician
Hello!
Thank you for choosing Just Answer for the solution to your problem.
My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am going to assist you with this.

What is the serial number of the genset?
.
its a generac guardian plus 15000 watt serial number4058495 model number04390-3 im sorry it took so long to get back to you i was at work.thanks mike
Not a problem at all, my friend.
I work a full time job, a part time job, and do Just Answer in between - so I know all about working.....

First we need to make sure you are following the proper set procedures.
Let's start with disconnecting the battery cable from the battery for 5 minutes, to make sure the control board is reset. (Make sure to set the switch to OFF first).
Reconnect the battery cable.
Set the switch to MANUAL to make sure the set will start.
Turn the switch to OFF.
When the engine has completely shut down, set the switch to AUTO.
Press and hold the Set Exercise switch until all the red LED's start flashing (about 10 seconds).
When they start flashing, then you can release the SET EXERCISE switch.
The engine should start at that point, and run for it's 12 minute test.

If the exercise function is not being set, there are only 3 possibilities:
1. The switch is bad. This is doubtful, since the light is coming on.
2. A broken wire between the switch and control board. This is also doubtful, for the same reason.
3. A bad control board.

To test the switch, disconnect both wires from the switch.
Set your meter to ohms, and place one lead to each switch terminal. There should be no continuity.
Now press and hold the switch. There should be continuity.
If it does not work like this, the switch is bad.

If the switch is good, remove the 23-pin connector from the control board.
At pin number 19, find the wire number 15B.
With your meter still set to ohms, connect one lead to wire 15B, and the other lead to wire 15B removed from the Set Exercise switch. There should be continuity.
If there is not, this wire is broken.

If the wire is good, then the control board is bad.
BUT - there is a footnote here.
If you want to go strictly according to the book, after you release the SET EXERCISE switch, even if the engine does not start, you are supposed to wait a week to see if the set exercises.
If it still does not, THEN you are supposed to replace the control board.
Hank F.
Hank F., Technician
i did the battery disconnect to reset the system that worked thanks again mike i gave an excellent rating
I'm sure glad it was such a simple fix.
.