Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

Small Engine

I have a 17.5 hp Briggs and Stratton engine that blows white

Customer Question
smoke when the blades are...
I have a 17.5 hp Briggs and Stratton engine that blows white smoke when the blades are engaged and the smoke gets worse as the loading increases. I also found the breather tube diconnected and leaking oil.

What is Problem? Thanks
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Small Engine
5/12/2012
Technician: James W, Small Engine Troubleshooting Expert replied 5 years ago
James W
James W, Small Engine Troubleshooting Expert

James W :

Greetings, My name isXXXXX and I am here to help the best I can. My goal is 100% satisfaction. Let's get started.

James W :

White smoke means Burning oil

James W :

smell the oil to make sure it does not smell a bit like gas

James W :

sometimes the gas leaks into the crankcase if the carburetor needle and seat get stuck and the flow of gas is not shut off

Customer:

Hi James- I didn't detect a gas smell.

James W :

that is fine

James W :

There are several things that can cause this.

I will try to list some of them for you.

1. If the carburetor is not working correctly, it will bypass fuel through it into the oil. This thins the oil and will cause the oil to go places that it shouldn't. Check your oil ans smell it to see if there is gas in the oil. If there is gas in the oil, you will have to overhaul and clean the carburetor with a COMPLETE carburetor repair kit.

2. If the oil dipstick gaskets are not sealing correctly, it will allow the vacuum.. (Primary compression inside the crankcase) to be at the wrong levels, which will push oil out where yours is coming from.

3. If the valve guides in the engine are worn, it will pressurize the crankcase...pushing the oil out.

4. If the engine had worn out rings or a scored piston, the it will also pressurize the crankcase and push the oil out. The engine will have to be overhauled if this is the problem.

5. If for some reason the engine is running too fast, it will also cause this problem. This happens is someone has messed with the governor to get it to run faster. Also if the governor gear has broken inside the engine this will also cause the engine to run too fast.

6. If you have a blown head gasket, this will also cause the problem. In fact, this is one of the first things I would check.

If you don't feel comfortable with this kind of repair I would suggest sending it to a reputable shop.

Feel free to contact me here at this question anytime ...even after you hit the "ACCEPT" button ...and I will try to help further.

James W :

If the breather gasket is bad, it will alow pressure inside the crankcase to push the oil out

James W :

The breather tube may have been taken off to prevent oil in the air cleaner

James W :

BTW, make sure the air cleaner is FRESH and new

James W :

O it may have BLOWN off because oif uncontrolled crankcase pressure

Customer:

The engine does sound like it reving higher.

Customer:

How can I check the govenor?

James W :

Reving HOW high?

Customer:

Enough to be concerned- seams to settle down when the blades are engaged.

Customer:

I also replaced the head gasket last year.

James W :

Overspeeding can cause the oil blow by

James W :

It is cools down when you cut grass then the governor is in fact working

James W :

but may need a tiny screw turn to prevent the throttle shaft from moving too far

James W :

it will be a screw with a STOP near the throttle shaft

Customer:

Thanks James- let me check out your suggestions!

James W
James W
James W