Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

Would a Murray lawn tractor automatic transaxle need oil?

Murray lawn tractor is slow moving.

Does the automatic transaxle need oil? What is 5" high black rubber tube sticking up out of the transaxle?

Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 5 years ago.

Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! Do you have the full model number of the unit? example 304567X92a

The tube is the vent tube for the transaxle.

JACUSTOMER-hscf1az4- : Model 465603x92A. Tractor motor runs fine, good rpm. Belts are fairly new and routed correctly. Blade speed is fine. Adjusting the clutch link to idler arm will make it go faster forward/slower, reverse or adjusting the opposite way slower forward/faster reverse. But can not get forward speed even close to what it used to be. It's very slow at best. Idler pulley rotates freely. Brake not locked. Is this transaxle "sealed"? I've never seen any evidence of leakage, but maybe it needs oil? Black rubber tube sticking up looks like it has a bolt in the top.

You could try adding a little 20W50 through the tube. Have you removed the linkage at the transmission and checked to see you are getting full travel with the foot control?

JACUSTOMER-hscf1az4- : Working on it now in the garage. I will re-check foot control travel. Will get back to you with any change. If I add 20W50 oil to transaxle, can it be "overfilled" and cause damage or further problems?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Tried adding 20W50 to transaxle through the vent tube, but it seems to be filled to within an inch of the top.
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 5 years ago.

Yes, unless you have a leak, it is not likely to need fluid.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Foot control (speed, forward and reverse) linkage to transmission appears to be allowing full travel. I did not "remove" the linkage, but observed as I operated the foot pedal. I have the deck off and will leave it off for now. I have backed off the brake, probably too far, but that should insure that that isn't the problem.

I need to re-install the battery, then try moving/driving and re-adjust the linkage to see if there has been any improvement. I have other chores to do this morning, but will get back to you later.

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 5 years ago.

Ok, but I would remove the linkage from the pedal, simple enough to do and insure it is getting full travel. Just a little at the far end makes big difference.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Removed linkage and it appears that it will move fully in both directions. Reinstalled to foot pedal linkage, went for a test drive to check forward speed. Readjusted linkage. Out for another test drive all of a sudden a lot of oil leaking out of the engine! A totally different and unrelated problem! Back into the garage. Oil filter cap (there is no oil filter on this model B&S engine) is leaking bad.

Took off the cap, it's all aluminum and had cracked. Went on-line and ordered a new cap and gasket. So tractor won't be moving until I get the parts and install. So I won't know if I have/can fix the original problem, the slow forward speed. I won't keep you hanging for a week or two until I get parts. Do automatic transaxles go "bad"? Still work, but not efficiently or slip?

Expert:  Curtis B. replied 5 years ago.

Yes they do go bad, they get internal wear and the pump is not as efficient as it was new and they just get weaker and weaker.