Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

Small Engine

I have a Briggs & Stratton 16 hp model 303447 engine that has

Customer Question
a bad stator I suspect,because...
I have a Briggs & Stratton 16 hp model 303447 engine that has a bad stator I suspect,because I am not getting any voltage reading, and having a no charging lite coming on.. My question is how do go about removing the stator and replacing it?
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Small Engine
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/18/2012
Technician: Tim K, Technician replied 5 years ago
Tim K
Tim K, Technician

Tim K :

Hello, welcome to Just Answers. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I would like to help you with your question

Tim K :

There is often a stator as well as a regulator on this engine.
Check the side of the engine block and see if there is a box with some wires going into it from the engine, and then back out to the wiring harness. (usually around the dipstick area)
Check this and then get back to me with the number of wires and their colors and we can go about checking out your charging sytem

JACUSTOMER-qn3ykfvx- :

Well I cannot do right now.. Maybe tomorrow.. Will that work?

JACUSTOMER-qn3ykfvx- :

What am looking for?

Tim K :

that is fine. I should be on tomorrow at some point to check.
I will find you a picture of it.. just a sec

JACUSTOMER-qn3ykfvx- :

ok

Tim K :

is this on a mower with an electric clutch?

JACUSTOMER-qn3ykfvx- :

It is troy bilt garden tractor with a tiller in the back.. About a 1996 year

Tim K :

does the shaft come out underneath?

JACUSTOMER-qn3ykfvx- :

It dose have electric clutch for the tiller..yes on the shaft..

JACUSTOMER-qn3ykfvx- :

The picture is the same as the one I got,,

Tim K :

this is a common style here. the wires coming from the engine are from the stator. you should get over 28 volts of a/c current from those 2 wires.

Tim K :

the box is the regulator.
if the regulator goes out, then it can stop charging as well.

JACUSTOMER-qn3ykfvx- :

I have tested the two black wires from stator, and no voltage!

Tim K :

oh ok.. I did not realize you already tested them.

Tim K :

The stator is located underneath the flywheel.
You will need to pull the center grass shield off
Then remove the shrouding on top

Tim K :

there are something like 6 or 8 bolts holding the shroud on.
and you will have to take the fuel pump loose, shouldnt have to disconnect the fuel line though.
there are a few under there as well.

JACUSTOMER-qn3ykfvx- :

Will have to pull the engine out of the unit to do the job? and should replace the stator and regulator at the same time? How much will this cost you think?

Tim K :

if the shaft comes out the bottom of the engine, then the flywheel and stator are on the top, so normally you do not need to pull the engine.

Tim K :

I can do one in about an hour, so that part depends on the mechanic and labor rate.
stator and regulator together probly cost around $100

Tim K :

and I would likely replace both just to be on the safe side.

Tim K :

If you feel up to tackling the job I can go through the rest of it with you. It is not really that difficult, just time consuming, and you need a few common tools

JACUSTOMER-qn3ykfvx- :

yes, am planning to do the job, and I got all the tools..How do get back to you?

Tim K :

you can get back to me through this question.
Would you like the rest of the procedure, or are you wanting to wait until you are doing it?

JACUSTOMER-qn3ykfvx- :

Yes, why don't you give me the procedure just case I cannot get hold of you.

Tim K :

ok no problem.
the grass screen in the center, then the shroud around the top.

Tim K :

after you take the shroud off you can see the flywheel and the two ignition coils (one for each side)

Tim K :

sometimes you can to it without taking the coils off, but i normally take them loose just in case.

Tim K :

then you pop off the flywheel, it is held on by either a bolt or nut

Tim K :

taking the flywheel off is not hard, but there is a procedure. you take the bolt/nut loose, and then thread it back on about 1/3 of the way. take a pry bar and put it under the edge of the flywheel and the block, and while pulling up on the underside of the flywheel, hit the bolt/nut with a hammer. It should pop right up.
**now when doing this you want to just get the outside edge of the flywheel with the bar, if you go in too far you will be pulling up against the stator and you dont want to do that.

Tim K :

this is a very good video of a guy taking a flywheel loose. its on a push mower, but the basic idea is the same.
link

Tim K :

once you pull the flywhee, the stator is underneath. should have 4 bolts holding it to the block.
look at the way the wires are run out the side and behind the starter, sometimes you have to loosen the starter to take the wires out and run the ones for the new stator.

Tim K :

A few tips when putting things back together,
put a drop of locktite on the bolts for the new stator, and on the flywheel bolt as well.
make sure and torque down the bolt for the flywheel, you want something around 60#'s. if you have an impact that should do it fine
on the ignition coils, take an index card, or a business card and put it against the coil legs, bring the magnet around and let the coil go to the magnet with the card in between. then tighten the bolts for the coil. this will set the gap for you on the coils.

JACUSTOMER-qn3ykfvx- :

so is that it?Also do you have any knowledge on Bolens hydrostatic transmissions.. I have a leaking axle seal, and it looks like you have to disassemble the whole unit just to replace the seal..

Tim K :

that is the process for the stator. Not too bad a job.

JACUSTOMER-qn3ykfvx- :

Well thanks for your help..

Tim K :

have not hat much experiance on the bolens hydro unfortunately. I could try and find you a breakdown if you have the numbers from the machine, but would not be able to do so until monday..

Tim K :

I can get you part numbers for the charging system if you have the rest of the model info.
may be handy to have.

JACUSTOMER-qn3ykfvx- :

I have a breakdown already, but hate the idea tearing the whole down just to replace the seal!!

JACUSTOMER-qn3ykfvx- :

yes, send me the part# XXXXX you have them.

Tim K :

The only one i have been into was on a craftsman, and I had to split it to replace the seals on the axles. there was a groove that the seal sat in, so it was the only way to do it.

Tim K :

ok part numbers.

JACUSTOMER-qn3ykfvx- :

Ok

Tim K :

the regulator should be 691185 ebay, and the stator should be 696458 ebay

Tim K :

the links should pull them right up on ebay. otherwise, most lawn mower shops should carry them

JACUSTOMER-qn3ykfvx- :

Are these new or used?

Tim K :

it will give you a list, on electrical I would not recommend used

JACUSTOMER-qn3ykfvx- :

So they are new?

Tim K :

it should specify. If you havent used ebay before, you can go to partstree.com. and just put those part numbers in the search box. I use them all the time and get good service, and the parts would be nes.

Tim K :

**new

JACUSTOMER-qn3ykfvx- :

Well you have been a great help.. I will tear into it in the next few days..

JACUSTOMER-qn3ykfvx- :

Can print all this info up?

Tim K :

I think you can. I know it switches to a different format after you accept, and it should let you go back and pull our conversation back up.

JACUSTOMER-qn3ykfvx- :

are we done..

Tim K :

if you are satisfied with my help, then you can hit accept and it will finish it up.
*If you need anything further, you should still be able to get back to me even after you accept the answer.

JACUSTOMER-qn3ykfvx- :

ok

Tim K
Tim K, Technician
Hi Tim. This pat.. We had a conversation last night about replacing the stator and regulaor on my troy-bilt. I went down and looked at my unit, and the drive-line that I removed was for the tiller.. The engine drive -line is still attached to the motor and the transmisson..It looks like it woud be very hard to remove without taking the engine out.. On the end that goes to the engine, there is bolt that goes through the shaft in with a nut on it..Hoping if I have enough freeplay on driveline to slide off the crankshaft.. what is your thoughts??
ok I think there may have been a mis-communication somewhere here...
I think you said the crankshaft comes out on the bottom of the machine, if that is the case you no not need to remove anything from the crankshaft, as the flywheel is on the top of the engine.

Can you give me the rest of the numbers from the engine?
and maybe the ones from the unit if you have them. I want to see if there is maybe something i am missing.
All I have is the model# XXXXX type 1216-A 3898 code 96021511.. Will this help?

ok, that explains that.
you may have a bit more trouble then I told you originally.
on your engine the crankshaft comes out horizontally (on the side) and not vertically (on the bottom)

is there just one shaft coming out, or is there one on each side of the engine?
The shaft comes straight out back, and connects to the driveline..

take a good look at both sides of the engine. one will be the oil cover side, the other will be the flywheel side.
the cover side normally has the dipstick, its not very deep, and you can see the seam around the block where it seals up.
the other side with the flywheel is the one we need to try and get to.
if the flywheel side is the one whith the transmission shaft, then the shaft will actually just bolt onto the flywheel. with the grass screen loose, sometimes you can look back there and see the bolts holding on the shaft, other times you need work the housing back some to get to it. also, if the belts are off for the pto side, then you can take the motor bolts loose and give you some wiggle room that way.
It is definately still do-able, just a little more involved
Ok I will tried that..
let me know how it goes, and if you run into any snags let me know and I will try and help you work through it.
Ok I will let you know...
alright. The system will let me know when you post again on here.
Tim K
Tim K
Tim K, Technician