Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

Small Engine

x485 john deere tractor with snowblower attatchment problem.

Customer Question
i pull pto switch, it...
x485 john deere tractor with snowblower attatchment problem. i pull pto switch, it lights up, everything is spinning properly, functioning. when i start plowing snow, it only throws it a couple of feet, and then it quits. Is it an electrical problem? It just seems that the blower has no power at all. When it does run without plowing any snow, it seems weak.  In the fall w/mower deck on it was working pretty hard mulching leaves. 
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Small Engine
Answered in 1 day by:
1/13/2012
Technician: Robert P, Small Engine Technician replied 6 years ago
Robert P
Robert P, Small Engine Technician

Thank You for using Just Answer , my name is Robert.

There is definitely a switch I would think interrupting the PTO , in the summer 99 % of the time it's the seat switch , try disconnecting it or jumping it , to eliminate the problem , with it not having power, it sounds like the belt possibly not routed properly and going tight enough, also check shear pins .Good luck Robert P

Robert P
Robert P, Small Engine Technician

i was gonna replace the seat switch, i looked closer at the seat bracket which showed wear. i put the seat rod through a different hole which seemed to fix a different problem i'v had all summer which was putting parking brake on and getting off the mower and it would stall.

like i added before, i worked it pretty hard with mulching leaves in the fall. that last batch before i put on the plow for the winter, it really bogged down and ran slow. with plow on now, pto switch lights up, slow engagement of the plow. It would throw the snow about 2ft. and then would stop. switch still lit up after that, but the plow would not move after that.

so when the blower would move, it had no power.

Robert P
Robert P
Robert P, Small Engine Technician