Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

Small Engine

I have a Northstar 10KW generator with a Honda GX610 engine.

Customer Question
Hz was off by about...
I have a Northstar 10KW generator with a Honda GX610 engine. Hz was off by about 4Hz  and voltage was 110V so I messed with it and now it's screwed up. I thought the shaft coming out of the top of the intake behind the carburetor was the problem and could be adjusted a little. The shaft has very little movement (maybe 30-45 degree of rotation). Now the engine runs with 120V out but will not carry a load when applied. The engine will not maintain RPM. Engine runs fine, need to know how to properly adjust governor. I have a Fluke voltmeter and a APC power conditioner that has frequency and voltage read out that I can use as a test fixture to get the Freq and Voltage correct once I know how to properly adjust the linkage. Thanks XXXXX I'm trying to find the instructions online. I live on the East coast and will be hit by the storm on Saturday so I need to get the info ASAP. I'm going to be up for an other hour or so, so if you can call I would appreciate it. I have a good mechanical background.
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Small Engine
8/25/2011
Technician: Tom, Technician replied 6 years ago
Tom
Tom, Technician
To Reset the Governor; Loosen the Governor Arm Bolt and Turn the Governor Shaft Clockwise Until it Stops. Using the Governor Arm Hold the Carburetor to Full Throttle. Now with the Shaft Full Clockwise and the Governor Arm and Carburetor Held at Full Throttle, Tighten the Governor Arm Bolt. If the Engine Still Runs Full Throttle, then Reverse the Rotation of the Governor Shaft, but Still Hold the Carburetor at Full Throttle with the Governor Arm. If it Still Runs at Full Throttle, then Check the Internal Governor.Let me know if this helped.I'm in NY so preparing for the worst here on Long Island.
Description of Carb and Govner config.
Standing at the flywheel end of the motor looking down on the engine. There is a L shaped arm that is attached to a shaft that comes out of the top of the intake. The left side of the arm (the long side) has a link that connects to the left side of the carb. The short side points toward the back of the generator that has a couple of spring attached to it. The short side of the L has FOUR slots that a long spring can be attach that controls the overall speed of the engine. The shaft that comes out of the top of the intake only turns about 1/4 of a turn or less. It has a straight slot in it to allow for adjustment. The L arm has a bolt throught it that clamps allow the arm to be clamped to the approx 5/16" shaft. Can you call me, if so my number is XXXXX five 7 two 68 four thousand Thanks Tony
Unfortunately we can not contact customers directly site rules.Take the governor arm and push it in the direction that opens the carburetor all the way. When the carburetor is opened all the way, loosen the fastener that holds the governor arm to the governor shaft on the engine. Then turn the governor shaft all the way in the same direction as you pushed the governor arm to open the carburetor. Then while holding the arm all the way open and the shaft all the way in that direction, tighten the fastener.If you did everything that I said. Then it is very possible that the governor slipped on the inside of the engine. You may have to take the engine apart and make sure that everything is in its proper place.

Ok, I't late here, so I will do that tomorrow. Next question on the governer. The four slots on the end of the governer arm... which slot should the long heavy spring be inserted in. Have you ever worked on a Northern Tool Northstar 10Kw generator? Reason is the power head on the 10KW looks exactly like the 13KW. I'll looked at the 10KW manual and it looks nothing like what my unit has on it. Did they at some point in time put the 13KW power head on the 10KW unit with the 610 instead of the 620 engine and derate the generator?
Yes they did change heads.Spring should be in the second hole.
Second from the end or second from the the corner? I've compare the 10KW and 13KW Genhead (alternator) not the Honda engine. They look identical, but my documentation looks differnent that what is installed

Attachment: 2011-08-25_052557_generator_13kw_-_165939.pdf

So what do you think??
Next on the governor... The adjustment for the engine speed is a reverse adjustment in my book. The arm that the long heavy spring connects to has a friction adjustment. The screw only adjusts in one direction, if you adjust it to far you have to use a wrench and move it back and start over. As you screw the screw in is slows the engine down, if you back it off the arm does not move back and the engine speed up. This is kinda odd.
Second from the end.Yes looks different . Adjust the speed with the generator running under a load . Should be all the way screwed in then backed out 2 and a half turns for proper adjustment.
With the screw back all the way out engine will run at a faster RPM, if I screw it in it push the arm that puts less pull on the govener L arm by releasing the spring tension. The arm is held in place by a bolt through a bracket that acts as a friction point. The screw does not work like a idle screw where the screw can be backed off and the arm will move with it . (screw it in and the idle increase and back it out the the idle decrease). The adjustment is almost reverse from what you say it should be. I will send some picture in a minute
graphicgraphicgraphicgraphic
Ok yes that's correct I was thinking of a different model. That's the correct way to adjust it .So screw it in all the way then back it out 2 and a half turns and it should be good.
Also let me know if this helps.
ClickHere
Hoped this helped.Positive feedback and bonuses greatly appreciated.'
Pictures say a thousand words
The first image is from the left side of the engine, if you adjust the screw in it slow the engine down. If you back it out the arm will not return becaue the square shank with the hole that is facing you has a friction bolt that keep pressure on the spring that connects to the the L arm on the governer shaft.

Picture #2 is from the same side but a little futher back and you can see the long spring connecting to the arm used to adjust the speed. It's hard to see the friction bolt but it is just above the bracket in the foreground.

Picture #3 shows the nut that holds friction on the speed adjustment arm. Also I can see that I have the spring on the wrong slot.

Picture #4 shows the the big picture with the governor shaft coming out of the intake, the funky speed control, the large and small spring and a none functioning screw in the middle of the picture that I guess is a spare speed control screw if it would fall out. You can see the L arm attached to the govern shaft and L arm with rod connecting to the Carb and that has a small spring on it.

So from the top again, what is the proper adjustment from this prospective.

Also you didn't answer the question on the Genhead is my Genhead the same as the 13KW
Yes it's the same head. The only adjustment is in picture one the vertical Phillips screw with the spring.
Still having problems with govenor on the generator. I can't get the Freq up to 60 Hz and the voltage is only 117V. I've ran out of adjustment. Can I bend the long heavy spring to make it shorter to give me more adjustment. I don't want to bend it before asking because I live in VaBeach and time is near!!
Yes you can bend it at this point. I'm actually bracing here myself my Honda generator just died today it's old but now there's no chance on getting another in time. Best luck I'm this weather. I'm central south shore long island and where supposed to get slammed. Hoped this helped. Positive feedback and bonuses greatly appreciated. Don't forget to click accept if this helped.
Are you the guy that I chatted with early this morning?
How much would you bend / shorten up the spring?
And what effect does the four oblong slots the spring can be moved to have?

I made the adjustment as directed above but the govenor does not seem to pick up the load very well like it did before, it seems to lag, Might be because the voltage is low!! because all of the adjustment is taken up.
Yes same guy. You can bend it about 1/4 inch at this point. The will slightly affect idle . This very well can be a voltage issue causing this issue.
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX try that.
Sorry to hear about your Generator
Another thing I've converted this 10KW Gen to look like the 13KW unit with trifuel. Works great. Now if I can get the Governor/speed worked out I will be in good shape. This unit will handle my complete house. I have a 4K Sqft house and my biggest breaker is on 30A so this Generator is just the right size. I use quick snap connector for the natural gas connection. If we have major power outages here I will be the envy of the neigborhood because I will not need to feed it gas.
Anytime . Best of luck with the storm. I'll be at home depot 5am tomorrow to see if they got any generators in. Hoped this helped. Positive feedback and bonuses greatly appreciated.
Check Northern Tool, they have the Honda powered NorthStar generators with GX series engines.

You might by two generators, one for you and one for some that didn't think to buy a generator. Might be able to get enough out of the second generator to pay for yours if you guys get slammed. If not just return it and get your money back for an unopened unit. Don't for get the gas cans and power cords, and maybe a couple of extra Dryer plugs so you can us they to back feed the house.
Thanks. Great idea . Best of luck hope there's not much damage to either of our properties . I'll say a pray to the man upstairs that you and your family will be fine. Again best of luck . Mother nature can be crazy. Hoped this helped. Positive feedback and bonuses greatly appreciated. Dont forget to click accept if you found this helpful.
Tom
Tom, Technician
Still having problems, the generator when load is applied will not carry the load, It works well with a lite load but anything over about 20A the engine will not keep the RPM up. Voltage drops to about 110V. What is the next step.
Also I'm not getting any text in the emails from you.
Ok this can be a stator issue was this checked ?
Tom
Tom
Tom, Technician