Rex L.
Rex L., Small Engine Technician
Experience:  auto-diesel graduate. small engine and John deere and silver certified in stihl.
34138167

I have Troybilt horse riding mower with a 23 HP Kohler engine.

I have Troybilt horse riding mower with a 23 HP Kohler engine. The engine blew a couple of months ago and I got a 19 HP B&S to put back on the mower. The problem is the pulley for the drive belt is positioned lower on the Briggs than the Kohler. Is there anyway to adjust this pulley on the Briggs?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Rex L. replied 6 years ago.

If the shaft on the briggs is the same diameter as the kohler take the pulley setup off the kohler and put it on the briggs.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The Kohler shaft has an electric blade engagement pulley that is removed from the shaft with a bolt, but the drive pulley remains. Is there another way to remove that drive pulley?
Expert:  Rex L. replied 6 years ago.

These can get stuck on the shaft after time. Look at pulley for a set screw that locks it on shaft. (if it has one) .It may take a pulley puller to get it off there. spray real good with WD40 or something. Sometimes it is easier to order another pulley.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
If I ordered another pulley, wouldn't I still have to get the old one off? Or are you saying that removing the old pulley would probably damage it beyond use?
Expert:  Rex L. replied 6 years ago.
Sometimes they get ruined getting them off. U can heat it up if u have a torch. Just don't heat to much on an engine u are planning on using as u can burn the seal out of engine if it gets to hot.