How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Deere Dr Your Own Question
Deere Dr
Deere Dr, Small Engine Technician
Category: Small Engine
Satisfied Customers: 236
Experience:  John Deere service mgr for 18 yrs. Briggs, Kohler, Kawasaki, expert level for all
Type Your Small Engine Question Here...
Deere Dr is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a 1971 wheel horse 800 special 8hp briggs with generator

Resolved Question:

I have a 1971 wheel horse 800 special 8hp briggs with generator starter on it. Wont start. Spark is great. Thought carb might be the problem but compression is only 50psi. New head gasket did not help. The motor looks pretty tight for its age. Should I plan on rings etc or is there somthing else
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Deere Dr replied 6 years ago.
It's the carb. This engine has a compression release. 50psi is normal.

Get a can of Gumout. Give the throat of the carb a 3 second shot and see if it starts. If so you know it's the carb. If not, hmmmm. We will cross that bridge when we get to it.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The engine has a clean carburator and fuel system and is getting fuel to the plug. Why would I use gum out. I feared compression was the issue. It may need a new float needle because fuel is seeping out bottom of carb. But it is not flooding. Does this motor have a comp release thats giving me a low psi?
Expert:  Deere Dr replied 6 years ago.
Yes, low PSI is from comp release. Try this.

Step1 clamp off fuel line.
Step 2 remove plug and crank motor for about 10 seconds. WARNING! get plug wire as far from plug hole as possible to prevent fire.
Step3 reinstall plug and try to start engine.

Then buy a carb kit.
Deere Dr and 2 other Small Engine Specialists are ready to help you