Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

Small Engine

I have a deere lt150 that will not start. The lights work

Customer Question
I have a john deere...
I have a john deere lt150 that will not start. The lights work but there is nothing when you turn the key
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Small Engine
7/28/2011
Technician: Ranwell1, Small Engine Technician replied 6 years ago
Ranwell1
Ranwell1, Small Engine Technician
Ranwell1 :

HI

Ranwell1 :

I will be happy to help

Ranwell1 :

The usual problem is one of the safety switches.

Ranwell1 :

The most common one is the brake/clutch switch.

Ranwell1 :

The next one is the mower engagement switch.

Ranwell1 :

Lastly it is possible that the ignition switch may be bad, but the other two are much more likely the problem.

Ranwell1 :

Here is my prepaired answer that may helpp you.

Ranwell1 :

The problem can be one of many

1. A bad battery. even if it is new, it might have developed a short. Have the battery "Load tested" at a local autoparts store. You need a battery that has at least 300 cranking amps.

2. You may have forgotten to turn the mower blades off. This means that the safety switch is not in the start position and will not let the starter engage. Try turning the blades of and on a few times and see if it helps. Then you may need to also check to make sure that the switch is plugged in and making contact correctly. The switch could also be bad.

3. The clutch/brake switch may not be working right. Push the pedal down and let it up sharply several times and see if it helps. Push the pedal all the way down and try to start the engine. If this doesn't;t work, check the connections and make sure that it is correct. You might even have a bad switch that needs to be replaced.

4. You may have a bad connection at any of the battery cables at either end including the ground cable where it connects to the frame.

5. The starter solenoid may be bad and need replaced.

6. The starter itself may be bad and need replaced... or the starter gear may be stuck in the flywheel. Try to take your hands and turn the engine over backwards and see if it will release.

7. The engine may have stuck. usually it is caused by lack of oil, so check the oil before you try to start it .

8. The carburetor may have started to leak fuel into the cylinder causing a "Hydro-lock" This means that the fuel in the cylinder is preventing the engine from turning over. Take the spark plug out and see if the engine will turn over. If it does, it will probably push gas and/or oil out of the spark plug hole. Then you will know that you need to clean and rebuild the carburetor. Then make sure that you change the oil.

I hope this has given you something to check.

Good luck

Ranwell1 :

Here is the manual

Ranwell1 :

Sorry, no manual on this one.

Customer:

Could it be the switch under the seat? If so how do I check it and take it out

Ranwell1 :

The switch under the seat does not usually have anything to do with the engine turning over. It actuall kills the spark to shut off the engine if the operator gets off the seat.

Ranwell1 :

The two switches that I mentioned and the solenoid are the usualy issues.

Customer:

where are they

Customer:

i know where the starter is

Ranwell1 :

The are loceated near the linkage under the tractor frame for the brake switch.

Ranwell1 :

The PTO switch is the Switch that turns the mower on and off.

Ranwell1 :

If this is a unit that has an electric switch to turn on the electric PTO to trun the blades on.

Customer:

can I email you later

Ranwell1 :

If you have a lever that you move back and forth to turn the blades on (Manual clutch) then the switch would be located near that lever or the linkage.

Ranwell1 :

They do not alolow us to E-mail but if you come back to this question later, you can usually get a hold of me. They will e-mail me that you want to talk. You can do this even after you hit the ACCEPT button, but just make sure you DO NOT CLOSE the question. Once the question is manually closed, I cannot get back to yu without another question listing.

Customer:

ok thank you i will try it

Ranwell1 :

good luck

Ranwell1
Ranwell1, Small Engine Technician
Good luck, This should send you a link back to the question so you can contact me. It is NOT going to be a "CHAT" but messages back and forth.
Ranwell1
Ranwell1
Ranwell1, Small Engine Technician