Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

I have a deere gt262 with a 48 mowing deck. my problem

Customer Question
i have a john deere...
i have a john deere gt262 with a 48 mowing deck. my problem started about 2 yrs.ago when i had to change the deck belt. then i was changing it about every month.  the belt going from the motor to the deck was also shredding sometimes at the same time. i don t know what to try next. i think i should own the belt makers company by now!
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Small Engine
6/2/2011
Technician: Ranwell1, Small Engine Technician replied 7 years ago
Ranwell1
Ranwell1, Small Engine Technician

There are several things that can cause these belt problems.

here are some ideas.

1. DO NOT USE ANY BELT OTHER THAN AN ORIGINAL EQUIPMENT JD BELT !!!!!!

Belts are made to very specific specifications and if the wrong belt is used, it will not last.

2. The number 1 reasons that belts go bad is that the idler pulley bearing is bad and the idler pulley needs replaced. With the belt off, spin all of the idler pulley and listen for any noise. The cannot be ANY noise AT ALL when the pulley spins. Noise means that there is NO grease in the bearing and it must be replaced.

3. If the spring that puts pressure on the belt is weak or the wrong one, the belt will slip and shred.

4. With the belt off, spin each blade by hand and listen for noise. There should be NO NOISE when the blade is spinning. If there is noise, that means that the bearings in the blade spindles are dry and are bad. They will have to be replaced. these bad bearings will cause the belt to go bad.

5. Level the mower deck. If the mower deck is too low in front, the angle of the belt will be too severe and will cause the belt to go bad. Make sure that the mower deck ins 1/16th of an inch lower in front.... as measured from the tip of the blade to the ground...from and back.

6. Rusty or chipped pulleys will cause the belt to go bad.

7. Cutting grass that is too thick or wet, or mowing at too fast a pace will cause the belt to go bad because it is putting too much of a stain on the belt.

This should give you enough to check for now.

Let me know how things go.

If you need any more help with this, you can contact me here at this question...even after you have hit the "ACCEPT" button to pay me for this answer.

Please click "ACCEPT" or I won't get paid.

You may also consider sending a bonus if I have been helpful, Please leave POSITIVE feedback for me as this is how I'm rated. Remember, a neutral is nearly as bad as a negative. If not satisfied, contact me and I will make it right. Thanks

Ranwell1
Ranwell1, Small Engine Technician