Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

Club Car Golf Cart wont go. Serial number AA0437-435347. Tries

Customer Question

Club Car Golf Cart won't go. Serial number AA0437-435347. Tries to move when you first press the accelerator but it won't go. Batteries are charged and all connections to batteries have been cleaned and secured.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 6 years ago.

curtis b :

Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! By the numbers this is a 1997 cart? How did the problem begin? Batteries seem to be fine for a 48 volt unit. With the key OFF , can you here the micro switch clicking when you press the accelerator? Do you get any HUM when the key is on and pedal is depressed? Same thing forward and reverse?

JACUSTOMER-5r791und- :

No, it is an 04 model. Yes you can hear clicking with key OFF, no humming when key on.

JACUSTOMER-5r791und- :

Hey. Tried jumping the solenoid and got nothing.

JACUSTOMER-5r791und- :

Hello?

curtis b :

I was confused, you said Club Car/ Ezgo. I assume it is Club Car and not Ezgo. Locate the micro switch on the pedal and check that is is making contact, you can use a voltmeter or test light to see if voltage is going past the switch. This switch works in conjunction with the solenoid that turns on the controller.

JACUSTOMER-5r791und- :

I'm sorry it is a Club Car. Checked the microswitch. Checked the control voltage through the coil and got 48 volts when accelorator is pressed, solenoid did not click.

JACUSTOMER-5r791und- :

Microswitch clicks.....sorry.

curtis b :

Have you checked the voltage through the micro switch? How did problem develop?

JACUSTOMER-5r791und- :

One of the batteries went bad, put a new battery in and problem occurred. Getting 48 volts on the control wires at the relay when accelerator is pressed......when it is released get nothing. Do I still need to check the microswitch voltage? It is dark now won't be able to check that till early am.

JACUSTOMER-5r791und- :

Batteries were charging fine.....lights etc. all working......had a storm, while batteries were charging and lost power temporarily....could that have affected car?

curtis b :

I don't see it causing problem. It would have only affected the charger, and it is still working. Was cart still working when battery went bad?

JACUSTOMER-5r791und- :

Yes

curtis b :

You only replaced one battery?

JACUSTOMER-5r791und- :

yes only one, the post broke.

curtis b :

You did replace it with 8 volt battery?

JACUSTOMER-5r791und- :

no 12 volt golf cart battery

curtis b :

So you are running 4 -12 volt batteries.

curtis b :

Was controller service switch turned to service when battery was replaced? Was it turned back on ?

JACUSTOMER-5r791und- :

No we have 6 batteries......I replaced it with an Energizer golf cart battery as I have done in the past. Does not have a service controller switch that I am aware of....where would that be?

JACUSTOMER-5r791und- :

Battery does not indicate voltage.....I am checking that now to verify that it is 8 volts and not 12.

curtis b :

12 volt battery will have 6 filler caps, 8 volt will have 4 filler caps. The service switch is usually right on the cover that covers the controller. It should be a toggle switch.

JACUSTOMER-5r791und- :

Ok....let me check...Be right back.

JACUSTOMER-5r791und- :

ok..apparently my wife got a 6volt battery for the new one and I didn't realize. It only has 3 filler caps. No togle switch. Could the whole problem be that battery?

curtis b :

Yes, I would start with the battery.

curtis b :

Let me know if that fixes it. Thanks, and good night.

JACUSTOMER-5r791und- :

ok. will try that first thing in the morning. Thanks will let you know.

curtis b :

ok.

JACUSTOMER-5r791und- :

hey, replaced the battery with an 8 volt but still not working......help.

curtis b :

Put it on charge and let the batteries equalize before getting to far into it. With the 6 volt battery in it, the other batteries are affected by the lower voltage. and batteries always go to the weakest link. Then we can start checking components.

JACUSTOMER-5r791und- :

TRIED THAT ALREADY.THE SOLENOID DOES NOT CLICK SO WE AR GOING TO REPLACE IT AND GO FROM THERE.

curtis b :

Do you hear the micro switch for the accelerator click with the key off.??

JACUSTOMER-5r791und- :

NO

curtis b :

Accelerator switch has to turn on the solenoid.