Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

Small Engine

John Deere Walk Behind Mower Serial Number GX14PZC166219

14pz I just had a...
John Deere Walk Behind Mower Serial Number GX14PZC166219 14pz
I just had a 15 point service on this mower because mower "runs on idle only"
Invoice note "The low speed was caused by the front of the mower running into something bending GOV settings"
Picked up mower on April 25
Mowed lawn today
Mowed under shrub and ran front end of mower into lower part of shrub and mower IMMEDIATELY began running at IDLE ONLY
Wanted to fix it myself but do not know where govoner is located in the front and do not know where to find a schematic of this engine or a free online manual or schematic.
Can you help?
Thanks,
Earl Brant
5/10/2011
Ranwell1
Ranwell1, Small Engine Technician

Customer:

HI

Customer:

I will try to help you

Customer:

The governor linkage that the tech was talking about is ust behind theengine cover at the front of the carburetor.

Customer:

If you look at the fron where you hit the bush, you should see a spring that is connected to a small lever.

Customer:

This spring is the governor spring.

Customer:

When you hit the bush, what it did is push the small lever that the spring is connected to backwards taking tension off of the spring.

Customer:

If you take the small lever and bend it toward the front of the mower and put more tension on the spring, it will increase the running speed of the engine.

Customer:

You must be very careful, though, because you can easily get the engine running too fast and this can damage the engine as well as make the mower dangerous to use.

Customer:

I do not have a manual that shows this, I don't think that this brand lets one be put on the internet.

Customer:

Actually the best thing for you to do is take it back to the dealer and have then reste things again.... but this time see if they can install some kind of guard in front of the engine that will stop this from happening again.

Customer:

I hope that this helps.

Customer:

Customer :

before i contacted just answer i thought it best to take it back to where i got it fixed

Customer:

That is what I really think too, but I have given you the process to do it yourself just in case you decide to try it.

Customer:

Customer :

being an ethical person i will accept this answer and allow the fee to you...even though i could have saved the $$ if I had waited until tomorrow............i appreciate your answer and information..................is there some way i can contact you and you alone next time i need help?

Customer:

Yes

Customer:

Just ask your question and ask for me by name.

Customer:

If it has to do with this situation, you can cme back to this question and an e-mail will be sent to me saying that you have returned and want more information.

Customer :

ok...will this chat session be sent to my email address or do i login again to find this chat?

Customer:

This will be available for a few days.

Customer:

After that you can just ask another question and in the question mention that you only want me to answer it for you.

Customer :

will it be in my email box

Customer:

I am NOT always online, but I will get back to you fairly quickly

Customer :

will this chat be sent to my email address

Customer:

When I change this to a regular question, it will automatically send you an e-mail that will give you a link to this question.

Customer :

thanks sir...i will now accept your answer so you can get paid

Customer:

Thanks and if I can be of any more help, just let me know.

Ranwell1
Ranwell1, Small Engine Technician

Here is a copy of our chat.

Customer:

HI</pCustomer:

I will try to help you</pCustomer:

The governor linkage that the tech was talking about is just behind the engine cover at the front of the carburetor.</pCustomer:

If you look at the front where you hit the bush, you should see a spring that is connected to a small lever.</pCustomer:

This spring is the governor spring. </pCustomer:

When you hit the bush, what it did is push the small lever that the spring is connected to backwards taking tension off of the spring.</pCustomer:

If you take the small lever and bend it toward the front of the mower and put more tension on the spring, it will increase the running speed of the engine.</pCustomer:

You must be very careful, though, because you can easily get the engine running too fast and this can damage the engine as well as make the mower dangerous to use.</pCustomer:

I do not have a manual that shows this, I don't think that this brand lets one be put on the internet.</pCustomer:

Actually the best thing for you to do is take it back to the dealer and have then re-set things again.... but this time see if they can install some kind of guard in front of the engine that will stop this from happening again.</pCustomer:

I hope that this helps.</pCustomer:

Customer :

before i contacted just answer i thought it best to take it back to where i got it fixed</pCustomer:

That is what I really think too, but I have given you the process to do it yourself just in case you decide to try it.</pCustomer:

Customer :

being an ethical person i will accept this answer and allow the fee to you...even though i could have saved the $$ if I had waited until tomorrow............i appreciate your answer and information..................is there some way i can contact you and you alone next time i need help?</pCustomer:

Yes</pCustomer:

Just ask your question and ask for me by name.</pCustomer:

If it has to do with this situation, you can come back to this question and an e-mail will be sent to me saying that you have returned and want more information.

Customer :

ok...will this chat session be sent to my email address or do i login again to find this chat?</pCustomer:

This will be available for a few days.</pCustomer:

Customer :

will it be in my email box</pCustomer:

Customer :

will this chat be sent to my email address</pCustomer:

Customer :

thanks sir...i will now accept your answer so you can get paid</pCustomer:

Ranwell1
Ranwell1
Ranwell1, Small Engine Technician