Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

Small Engine

My L110 John Deere won't start. The battery is fine.

My L110 John Deere won't...

My L110 John Deere won't turn over. The battery is completely charged and has clean terminals. Lights come on and everything looks good.

5/2/2011
J.R.
J.R., Small Engine Technician
Will it crank over if you take the spark plug out of it? Does it make any noise at all? Any clicks?
Won't crank over at all. No Clicking that I can hear. Nothing. I was mowing the lawn and put brake on and got off of it. It died and when I went to restart it, nothing. If I by pass the starter solinode it did turn over. I stopped before it started.
Check the main fuse. If you follow the small wire that is attached to the same terminal of the solenoid as the positive cable it will lead to a fuse. Make sure the fuse is not blown.
The main 20 amp fuse looks good. It is seated all the way and is not the problem. It has to be the seat or brake cut off switches or the ignition switch.
I would say it is the seat switch. If you unplug the switch, you should be able to jumper it to test it. Just go from termnial to terminal of the same color wires to bypass it for testing.

I get off of work in one hour will try that. I took it out and pressed it in a few times. It looked good. So I just need to jump the same color wire. I think one was black and the other was black with a red strip. Can I get back to you in a couple of hours?

Just reply back to this question. Just unplug it first and try it without jumpering it. If that does not seem to change anything then jumper it.
I did that already. When I unplugged it still did nothing. I then replugged it in and put it back. Also I made sure that it was going down when I sat on it. Isn't their a brake cut off switch also?
There is a brake switch. It works the same way. It will be down on the frame. It will make contact with the shaft that moves when you press the brake pedal down.
Will get back to you in a couple hours.
No problem.
JR, I checked the seat switch and it works fine. I put a ohms meter on it and worked fine pressed down. Just realized that when the brake and seat switches are not activated, it won't start but will turn over. That leaves the ignition switch or starter solinold. What do you think? How do I test the Starter Solinold? It has a red and blue wire. Not sure how to check it with a ohms meter. Thanks, Tom
With someone setting on the seat, the brake pedal pressed in and the key turned to the start position you should have power to one of the solenoid terminals. If you have no power then you may have another switch such as the reverse switch bad. If you have power then I would say the solenoid is bad.
how do I check for a bad solenoid? Their is a red and blue small wire on the top and of coarse the big red wire going to the starter. Tm

What make and model of engine is it? Is the solenoid attached to the starter?

Cranking Circuit Operation - L100/L110/L120/

L130

Function:

To energize the starting motor solenoid and engage the

starting motor which cranks the engine.

Operating Conditions:

To crank the engine the key switch must be in the START

position, the brake must be ON and the PTO must be in the

OFF (disengaged) position. The operator does not have to

be on the seat to crank the engine with the brake on.

Theory of Operation:

Current flows from the battery through F1 fuse to the key

switch. With key switch in the START position, current flows

through the key switch, through 700 Pur wire, PTO switch

contacts (switch in the OFF position), 705 Pur/Wht wire,

brake switch contacts (brake ON), and 710 Pur wire to the

starting motor solenoid coil.

The ground circuit for the solenoid coil is provided through

the 105 and 125 Blk wires X2 connector and Blk wire to W1

shielded ground

With the solenoid coil energized, the solenoid contacts

close and high battery current flows across the solenoid

contacts to the starting motor, causing it to crank the engine.

Can you cut and paste the schematic for the L110

See attached link. Click on download. Wait for the timer to expire. Click on download again. Let me know once you get it.

http://www.4shared.com/document/o-n7GpEV/l100l110l120_wiring.html

J.R.
J.R., Small Engine Technician

Got it. thx. Will follow your steps. I'll inform if I find out what is wrong. Found it. Bad PTO switch.. Got it ordered. Thanks for all the help. Will use you again if I need any help.

Thank you.
J.R.
J.R.
J.R., Small Engine Technician