Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

Small Engine

Cub Cadet charging system troubleshooting. Battery won’t stay charged.

Customer Question
I have a Cub Cadet...

I have a Cub Cadet 1040 -battery won't stay charged- I replace it with new one- have to jump start it each time to get it running. Help

Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Small Engine
Answered in 1 minute by:
5/2/2011
Technician: James W, Small Engine Troubleshooting Expert replied 6 years ago
James W
James W, Small Engine Troubleshooting Expert
James W :

It sounds as if you have one or more of the following problems.

1. Yes, you could still have a bad battery. There are lots of cheap batteries out there. Many just do not have enough CCA to use on a unit which has an electric PTO Clutch. You need at least 350 CCA and many of the big box batteries never get there even after a full charge.

2. You may have damaged the charging system by jump starting your dead battery with a vehicle (car or truck). The charging systems are not compatible. You may have been ok if the engine was not running on the jumping vehicle, but even then you can get into trouble. Best Idea, never jump start a lawn mower.

3. It is possible all you have blown is a fuse or have reverse biased a diode in the charging system.

4. It is also possible that that your overhead valves need to be adjusted (if your unit has OHV). There is a built-in compression release in these engines which is not activated if the valve gap is too wide. These need adjusted every 12 months to 18 months of normal homeowner use. If the compression release is not activating, it will be very hard to turn over, put extra wear and tear on the starter motor and the battery, and often makes the user think that battery is low.

JACUSTOMER :

Never jumped it with the car battery-have a small portable unit- is there something I should check before taking it to repair shop ?

James W :

Well

the only thing to do is charge the battery up for a FULL charge so they do not replace the battery just because it shows weak

Lots of people do not know how to check batteries

and replace them just to be safe

If you know how to check a diode and have a meter, you could do that easily enough

JACUSTOMER :

where is diode and fuse located-I have a volt meter

James W :

The volt meter must have a diode checker in it or you will get false readings

Here is a wonderfully entertaining link that shows how NOT to test a diode.

Then, it tells the right way.

Enjoy the video

If you need more help, just reply here. No need to ask a separate question on the same subject.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJdGYtU7OZc

JACUSTOMER :

It does- Where is the diode located -is there a fuse also ?

James W :

Fuse may be located under the dash. the diode is normally very close to the starter of the engine and often just looks like a buldge in a wire

Cub cadet 1040 is a collection of about 6 models

many are different.

In order know the exact location of the fuse, I would have to know the exact model number and serial number of your tractor

JACUSTOMER :

Found the fuse it is good- diode isn't- thanks for the help. Bye

James W :

Thanks

James W
James W
James W