James W
James W, Small Engine Troubleshooting Expert
Experience:  7 years as Mechanic & Parts Manager for Brother who has Owned Lawn & Garden Repair shop for 35 years
18589515

I have a stihl fs 70rc weed eater. the pull string broke and

Customer Question

I have a stihl fs 70rc weed eater. the pull string broke and i took the cover off the spring assebmly and reattachedf the pull cord. But i cannot get the cord to retract when i pull it.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  James W replied 6 years ago.

James W :

Greetings, My name is James W, and I am here to help the best I can. My goal is 100% satisfaction. Let's get started.

James W :

It is Highlly likely that when the rope broke, that the spring was damaged when it retracted instantly and with no resistance

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
what else would you like me to elaborate on?
Expert:  James W replied 6 years ago.

I am sorry, I stopped typing when I received no reply for at least 5 minutes.

Usually there is a slot in the pulley that the rope will slide out of when winding

you wind the spring without the rope filling the pulley all the way

this increases the spring tension, and you can slip the rope back on the the pulley through this tiny slot

This is fine if it works

But if the spring is broken, it may not latch on the pulley and you have a very slack rope

Expert:  James W replied 6 years ago.

this video may give you a good example.

It may not be exact, but close enough

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQbMBphYeCc

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
this is not working very well for me on this laptop. anyway the video does not help with my model. the housing has 2 spring on each side and both are unwound. i do not see how to rewind the one that fits against the engine side and the one facing the outside of the unit is too strong to rewind with the cover that sits on top of the spring and has the slot for the spring to sit into. what now? i may take the unit to a dealer to just have them rewind unlesss we can come up with a solution specific to my model.