Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

Small Engine

I got a Kohler 26hp V twin that floods out and foamy looking

oil comes out of a...
I got a Kohler 26hp V twin that floods out and foamy looking oil comes out of a small brass vent hole on the fuel pump
4/10/2011
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician

curtis b :

Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! Could unit be overfull on oil, are does the oil smell like it has gasoline in it? How did problem develop? slowly or all at once? When did it last run right?

Customer:

I really couldn't say. I just bought it at garage sale. Bought it cheap so figured I might have to do some work on it

Customer:

And yes, looks like the oil MIGHT be just a little over full

Customer:

You mean that might be all thats wrong ?

curtis b :

In that case, I would change the oil and filter, and do a good cleaning on the carburetor. You are probably looking at a unit that has been sitting for awhile and moisture has accumulated in the engine, thus you are getting the result coming out the vent on the fuel pump. And by it sitting, there is a buildup of old gas in the carburetor, which needs to be removed. Here is a site for the carburetor disassembly if you need it.http://outdoorpowerinfo.com/repairs/

Customer:

Yes you are right. They said it was sitting for a couple years. Thank you very much

curtis b :

Thank you.

Customer:

What kind of oil would you recomend?

curtis b :

I would use a good 30wt. high detergent oil. If you are north , where it is colder, a 10w30 would be fine, but I still like the old 30wt.

Customer:

Thanks again

Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Curtis B.
Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician