Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

Small Engine

How do I adjust the valves on a Kohler 23 Courage. It has

Customer Question
99.25 hours and takes two...
How do I adjust the valves on a Kohler 23 Courage. It has 99.25 hours and takes two batteries to even turn it over. I'm a better than fair mechanic but don't have the book on this POS. THanks
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Small Engine
4/6/2011
Technician: Rick, Factory Authorized Trainer replied 6 years ago
Rick
Rick, Factory Authorized Trainer

Hello, and thank you for choosing JustAnswer. I'll be assisting you today and am committed to providing clear and concise answers to your question.

To test if it's a valve issue, does it turn over properly if you remove the spark plug?

To make sure I'm giving you the correct information and specifications can you please give me the model, spec, and serial number off the blower housing?

graphic

I am at work and not looking at the mower right now. However, if you've ever heard a car whose timing in is too advanced that the motor won't hardly turn and will not turn unless I choke the hell out of it. That is what I experience. I am going to burn my starter up if I haven't already. THis is what I am up against.

It's certainly most commonly the valve adjustment that causes this, but there are some other potential reasons as well, such as faulty compression release, parasitic loads on the engine, internal binding, electrical problems, etc. Taking the plugs out is a quick and easy test to determine if the valves are indeed the culprit. The reason I was asking for your model information is that some Kohlers use hydraulic lifters so the valves are not adjustable.

To get started let me post a link to what I believe will be the correct manual for your engine.

Mechanics Manual

Please let me know...

Rick
Rick, Factory Authorized Trainer
Lets just forget it and cancel my question
Odd response to giving you the help you're asking for, but you're the customer. Best of success.
No its not an odd response. you did not respond; you asked me questions and I realize you want to be right, but I am not troubleshooting, I am trying to keep from burning up batteries, and starters; I specifically asked how to adjust the valves; not are the valves my problem. I expected something to the tune of loosen nut A and with a feeler guage of 23 millionths of a millimeter, tighten nut c till the feeler guauge breaks or like on any 350 motor pull off the valve cover, with engine running loosen the top nut until you hear a tapping sound. Stop; now turn a quarter turn in and go to next valve. without the engine running, loosen nut until the rod just starts turning , stop and tighten nut 1/4 turn. This is what I wanted, expected. While you were looking for the answer, I googled another sight and watched a guy tighten the valves with instruction; and got my answer. Nuff said

Glad you got the answer you were looking for. You'll find that specific information on pages 10.12-10.13 of the manual I posted for you assuming it's a Courage SV-720 series engine. Only trying to give you correct information rather than lead you to the wrong conclusion.

Take care and thank you.

Rick
Rick
Rick, Factory Authorized Trainer