Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

MY GOLF CART WONT HOLD A CHARGE. ANY SUGGESTIONS

Customer Question

MY GOLF CART WONT HOLD A CHARGE. ANY SUGGESTIONS?
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 6 years ago.

curtis b :

Welcome to JUST ANSWER small engines, let me try to help you !! Do you have a voltmeter to test the unit? Need to know what the charger is putting out when attached to cart. This would be by testing from the first battery to the last. Take reading before starting charge. Then take reading after charger starts charging. Is this a 36 or 48 volt unit? On board charger or loose charger that you attach , to charge? How old are the batteries? Batteries over 5 years old are probably past there life span. Let me know. Thank you.

Customer :

WE HAVE PUT IT ON A VOLT CHARGER AND ALL THE BATTERIES ARE FULLY CHARGED, BUT AFTER RUNNING THE GOLF CART FOR ABOUT 30 MINUTES IT STARTS DYING... 36 VOLTS.

curtis b :

Do you have access to a digital voltmeter? Can be bought for about $10.00 at retail or auto supplies. You didn't say hold old the batteries are.

curtis b :

Check total voltage, should be minimum of 38 volts with charged batteries. Then check each battery, should read 6+ volts. Look for low or high readins on each of the 6 batteries. Anything less than 6 shows weak battery. Any thing over 7 volts shows bad battery.

Customer :

i'm sorry.. i meant that we did the volt meter. all batteries read 6 volts. the batteries are only about 3 years old.

curtis b :

Does the charger come on by itself or does it have manual timer? Is it going through its full cycle?

curtis b :

When charging what do batteries read? Should be up to 42 volts.

Customer :

IT COMES ON BY ITSELF AND YES, IT GOES THRU A FULL CYCLE. I HAVE HAD PEOPLE LOOK AT IT THAT "WORK" ON GOLF CARTS AND NO ONE CAN SEEM TO FIGURE IT OUT. THIS WEBSITE WAS MY LAST RESORT.

curtis b :

Does the charger have an ampmeter? what does it start out on?

Customer :

YES, IT STARTS OUT (NOT SURE ABOUT THE #) BUT ABOUT .25 - .50 WAY UP THE HALF CIRCLE WHEN YOU FIRST PLUG IT IN.

curtis b :

How quick does it drop to the bottom?

Customer :

I BELIEVE A MINUTE OR SO AFTER ITS BEEN PLUGGED IN... NOT LONG AFTERWARDS.

curtis b :

It should drop down as the batteries charge up. If batteries are dead, it should take a while for charger to decrease down to nothing. The more I hear makes me think you have one bad battery in the pack. A charger will only sense the worse battery and will charge accordingly. To find if you have bad battery, run the cart till it starts dieing, really let it run down a good ways, then test batteries as soon as you can, individually. If a battery is going bad, it will read significantly, more or less than the rest of the pack.

curtis b :

Get back to me when you can. Thanks.

40638.8605772338