How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask J.R. Your Own Question
J.R., Small Engine Technician
Category: Small Engine
Satisfied Customers: 7445
Experience:  Owner of outdoor power equipment business, repairing all makes and models.
Type Your Small Engine Question Here...
J.R. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How to replace governor on a Briggs & Sratton 25 hp V-Tec

Customer Question

How to replace governor on a Briggs & Sratton 25 hp V-Tec twin
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  J.R. replied 6 years ago.
How did you adjust the governor? Please be specific as to the direction you rotated the shaft and arm?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Loosened screw on arm and pushed arm down, turned governor shaft the same direction, clockwise, untill it stopped. Retightened screw on arm.
Expert:  J.R. replied 6 years ago.
Loosen the screw on the arm. Move the arm so that it makes the throttle on the carburetor go to the wide open position and hold it in that position. Turn the governor shaft in the same direction you moved the arm until it stops. Once they are both held in that position tighten the screw.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
That's how I adjusted the governor. I had the throttle in wide open position. After adjustment the engine still races. Thats why I thought the governor was messed up inside the engine and why I ask for help in replacing the governor.
Expert:  J.R. replied 6 years ago.
Ok, if you have already done that then you have to get inside the engine. To do this you need to remove the electric clutch or what ever is on the end of the crankshaft. You will then remove the side cover from the engine. Once you have the side cover off you will be able to see the governor to replace it. You may have to remove the engine to get the side cover off.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I don't think that answers my question. My question was " How to replace the governor on a 25 hp Briggs and Stratton V-tech Twin?" I know how to remove the engine and get inside. I needed info on specifics of governor replacement.
Expert:  J.R. replied 6 years ago.
Get the exact model numbers off of the engine for me and I will try t oget you a link to the governor replacement.
Expert:  J.R. replied 6 years ago.

See attached link. Click on free user. Wait for the timer to expire. You can download the entire service manual.


J.R. and other Small Engine Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I can get the Briggs and Stratton info link. I thought you would tell me how to replace the governor. I'm sorry I am not happy with this response to my question.
Expert:  J.R. replied 6 years ago.
I am not sure what else you are lookng for me to tell you. The governor gear has to be situated a certain way when you install the new one. I would prefer to give you access to the manual which will guide you through the process with pictures.