Jon K.
Jon K., Small Engine Diagnostic Expert
Experience:  Gold certified Stihl tech, Service Manager for a rental/repair shop.Certified in most small engines
29067132

I have a Wen 3500 generator that will run only with the choke

I have a Wen 3500 generator that will run only with the choke closed. When I open the choke lever it stops. What is the cause of this, and is there any problem with running it with the choke closed for any length of time?

Thank you for choosing Just Answer, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do my best to help you find the answer you need to resolve your problem.

I am not familiar with your brand, but I can answer your question based on general small engine experience. This happens to a lot of small engines and the cause is always a clogged up carburetor. By closing the choke you are manually adjusting the air fuel mixture instead of the carburetor doing it. You do not want to run this engine like this, it will make it run lean (with the choke on it will have the correct mix, but not enough of it) Running lean will cause your engine to run too hot and will also effect the inside of the engine. The best way to correct this problem is to remove the carburetor, completely disassemble it, soak all the metallic parts overnight in a commercial carb cleaning solution. Next you will need to chase all the small holes in the jets with a small wire and then reassemble it with a rebuild kit made for your carb. Once you do this your engine should run normally again.

Did you have any luck with your repair?