Vince O.
Vince O., Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Over 30 years experience repairing lawn and garden equipment. Chainsaws, mowers,blowers and trimmers
32407143

Hi, I have a Yardman 21 5HP , 4Cyc. Model 31AE285-401.

I have a Yardman 21" 5HP , 4Cyc. Model 31AE285-401. The bolts that hang the exhaust have become loose and have vibrated the muffler mounting holes a bit. I think I can use locktight to secure the bolts for a more permiment hold as this is my second ayttempt to secure the loosened bolts. My question is more about the muffler. It has no gasket between the block and itself. Was there one there originally, and there os also an extra hole that looks intentional on the back side of the muffler. That is shooting exhaust back toward the block. That doesn't seem right. Any knowledge about what this muffler looks like and the gasket would be very helpful. Storm is here tomorrow. Help!!!
Mr Dean Jacobs

Vince O. :

Hello,I'm not sure what engine is on your blower.Can you identify the engine and supply any numbers?

Customer:

Tecumsa

Customer:

Serial # XXXXX

Customer:

There are no other numbers on the engine that I can tell.

Customer:

Where would I look for that?

Customer:

5 hp 4 Cyc.

Customer:

I just found this chat area. Sorry for the delay.

Customer:

Can anyone else help me??????

Customer:

Help!

Vince O. :

Sorry,I'm back also

Customer:

Great.

Customer:

Can you help me?

Vince O. :

Are the muffler holes stripped out causing the muffler to come loose?

Customer:

No. They are worn some bit seem good to go back in . I will use some lock tight to secure better.

Customer:

Do you know whay there would be ahole in the back of the muffler?

Customer:

MAybe it was worn from the vibration of being loose?

Vince O. :

yes, there is a gasket behind the muffler and there should not be a hole in the rear of the muffler

Customer:

FAntastic. Interesing that the gasket is missing.

Vince O. :

yes, the vibration could have stripped out the block but it can be repaired.

Customer:

The threads seem OK. BUt the gasket is missing and it wore the lplace where the gasket goes a bit on the block side.

Vince O. :

Click on this link to view engine breakdown to see if I got the correct one.http://www.partstree.com/parts/?lc=tecumseh&mn=HSK50-65504S&dn=EH60C94165504S-EN

Vince O. :

A new gasket will seal that.

Vince O. :

As long as threads are good and the bolts tighten up.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thanks Vince,

I did buy some gasket material and make a couple (due to the thickness of the material) of gaskets that I think were never there in the first place. Then I cleaned up the hole in the muffler and put a piece of gasket along with some muffler repair material over the top which turns into almost metal and made for the temperature. There was a bracket that is welded onto the original muffler that attaches to the head with a bolt. It had vibrated off and caused the hole. I ground off the piece of the muffler that was left so it would no longer rub against the muffler. I cleaned the bolts and put them all back snuggly. With the double gasket the bolt was slightly out further than before giving it a new place to bite into the hole even though the bolt was worn down from all the previous vibration. I did not use Locktite on the bolts so we'll see if they hold.

You were very helpful in telling me that there should be a gasket and there should not be a hole in the muffler. Those pieces of info allowed me to decipher the problem and do a reasonable repair without having to go and buy new parts. I needed the snow blower the next day, Sunday, due to the impending storm. All the small engine part shops were closed by Sat PM. So you did get me what I needed to know in order to fabricate the necessary parts.

Thank you for your help.

You probably didn't need the long story but it shows how you were an integral part of my success.

Thank you again,

Dean Jacobs
Lol,You're welcome.