Doug E.
Doug E., Kawasaki Master Technician
Experience:  Professional mechanic since the late 70's on Kawasaki, Arctic Cat, Jonsered, John Deere and others.
7400257

Have an older 5hp engine with points. Cannot get spark. Are

Have an older 5hp engine with points. Cannot get spark. Are the magnets inside the flywheel suppose to be permently fixed an if they are where should they be located in regerence to the keyway ? Are points still available for this engine ?

Doug :

Hello

Doug :

Yes, the magnets are fixed and their location is important. You can epoxy them back into place after roughing up the surface. If that doesn't work, you will need to replace the flywheel.

Doug :

Yes, parts like the points are still available from a number of sources. Tecumseh did go out of business, but a number of sources carry their parts.

Doug :

Would you like some online sources for the points?

Customer:

Do you know where the magnets are suppose to be fixed an yes where are the points available ?

Customer:

Are there any diagrams available an do you know the point settings

Doug :

No, there are no diagrams showing the exact location of the magnets. You will have to go by the marks on the flywheel where they came from. There is usually an outline from where they came loose.

Customer:

Do both magnets set together ?

Doug :

Here is one place to get points and parts from. LINK

Doug :

There is gap.... I think it's about an inch.

Doug :

I sold the last one I had so I don't have one handy to look at.

Customer:

An the point setting should be about 10 thousants of inch ?

Doug :

Hang on, I'm looking for a photo of that flywheel.

Customer:

Can do .

Doug :

I"m sorry but the factory manual has no photos of the magnets in place. Your point gap on that model is .020 in. The gap between the magnets and the lugs on the coil is .0125 in.

Doug :

Any small engine shop will have the points for your motor. If you do need to find another flywheel, most shops carry a bunch of scrap motors. You can also find them on ebay.

Doug :

Let me know if you need more information. I'll be on all day. Just reply to this and I will be notified right away.

Customer:

Do you think JB weld is strong enough to hold the magnets ? I found where they are suppose to go. FYI they are right above the holes in the flywheel, where they drilled out to balance the flywheel.

Doug :

Yes, that should work. I use that or an epoxy gel. Just don't have it too thick under the magnet or it will hit the coil post. It makes sense they would have balancing holes above them.

Customer:

Just to let you know that it worked , as long as the JB holds up. I haven't run it yet just know that I have spark now. Going to let it set for a day to set up. Thanks again.

Customer:

This is the first time I have used this web-site. Will use it again.

Doug :

Glad to hear it worked out! I've had pretty good luck bonding them back on so I doubt you'll have any problems. If you need any additional help, just ask. If not, you can click on the accept button. Thanks for using Just Answer.