Curtis B.
Curtis B., Technician
Experience:  have worked on and around most engine models for 35 yrs./Polaris ATV expert
30244710

HiI have a John deere trx 24 snowblower. It wouldnt run.

Customer Question

Hi
I have a John deere trx 24 snowblower. It wouldnt run. On closer examination, the short mounting stud, carb to body, was missing. We replaced it, got it ready to go, and alas, now the pull wont budge. We had it on an angle to work on the carb but I wouldnt think that would so anything. The machine has always been well serviced. Is there any place that stude could have gotten to that would lock up the pull, fly wheel, anything. Ideas?
oh, it pulled nice and easy, as always, beforehand. Possible that stud was laying someplace and got into the engine/starting system? Wouldnt seem likely.

Thanks
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Curtis B. replied 6 years ago.

curtis b :

Remove the spark plug and see if possibly the cylinder has filled with fuel. Pull the rope with the plug out and the spark plug wire away from the open hole. It that doesn't work, start backing out the stud you installed , it could be too long.

Customer :

The stud is the correct length. It is also the shorter of the two mounting studs though the card body flanges to the engine body. If I pull the plug and there is fuel in the hole, what then? Also, removing the plug; will that relieve excess pressure causing the "freeze".

Customer :

Thanks

Customer :

curtis b :

Yes, if there is fuel in the cylinder, just crank till it is all blown out, and reinstall the plug and you will be ok.

curtis b :

Removing the plug will relieve the pressure.

Customer :

I will go down and give it a shot.

curtis b :

Let me know . Thank you.

Customer :

Did not work. Removed pull and housing; it was free. Turned flywheel with wrench, it came free. Reassembled, works ok. Dont ask me...................

curtis b :

At least you got it going! Good job!!