Vince O.
Vince O., Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Over 30 years experience repairing lawn and garden equipment. Chainsaws, mowers,blowers and trimmers
32407143

When I tighten the chain on my Husqvarna 455 Rancher (20 bar),

When I tighten the chain on my Husqvarna 455 Rancher (20" bar), it cuts for only a few minutes before the chain becomes too tight on the bar and bogs down. I've repeatedly loosented the bar to where I can pull the chain approx 1/2 inch off the bar, but when I start to cut, it binds up again. I've used this saw for years with no trouble, but lent it to my nephew and now this is happening. He's clueless as to what could have happened, only that he wasn't able to use the saw for the same reason. Any suggestions.

Vince O. :

Hello,sounds like an oil pump problem,first thing is to check for bar oil.If there is oil in the tank insert a screwdriver to see what it looks like.Is it runny like water? (motor oil) Is it black? (waste oil) Or is it red or amber colored and stick to the screwdriver like honey? (bar oil)

Vince O. :

Also check and clean out the bar groove,especially the oil pick up holes in rear of bar.To verify if pumo is working run the saw without the bar and chain and see if oil comes out.

Vince O. :

Did the chain rotate around the bar freely?

JACUSTOMER-lrnnu6wx- :

I don't believe this saw has an oil pump on it, it appears to be a gravity feed. At any rate, I use bar oil, and fill it every time. If I leave the saw sitting, it always leaves a little oil in the case, so this is not the promlem.

Vince O. :

It has an oil pump behind the clutch and drum.Try this,install bar and chain.Place a piece of cardboard on the ground and run the saw.Hold it a couple inches above the cardboard and if things are clear and the pump is working you should see a stream of oil spray on it.

Vince O. :

It may take 30 seconds or so

JACUSTOMER-lrnnu6wx- :

I'll try this and log in later. Thanks, Mark.

Vince O. :

ok.

JACUSTOMER-lrnnu6wx- :

Close enough. It was a clogged oil port on the bar. Thanks, Mark.