How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jon K. Your Own Question
Jon K.
Jon K., Small Engine Diagnostic Expert
Category: Small Engine
Satisfied Customers: 5818
Experience:  Gold certified Stihl tech, Service Manager for a rental/repair shop.Certified in most small engines
Type Your Small Engine Question Here...
Jon K. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a snapper snow blower Model #155223. The drive is not

This answer was rated:

I have a snapper snow blower Model #155223. The drive is not working, I pulled the cover off of the bottom and I can move the axle but the gear spins freely from the axle that is suppose to catch onto the larger gear. There is a hole on each side of this gear (which looks like pins or screws would go in to hold it in place on the axle). Need some help, because I cannot find how to address this anywhere in the manual.


Thank you for choosing Just Answer, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do my best to help you find the answer you need to resolve your problem.

Can you check your model number again. Every combination that I put in for it does not come up.

I am pretty sure I know what your problem is though. The larger gear is held in place by a woodruff key, or a half moon key. It sits in the axle and keys to a slot in that large gear. If you can slide the gear to the side (it may be help in place by an E-clip or roll pin) you will see what I am talking about.
The bad news is that snapper uses a very specialized key that must be bought from a snapper dealer. The good news is that they are fairly inexpensive. It is just a hassle sometimes to get to a dealer.

Jon K. and 2 other Small Engine Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thanks Jon. I just needed the name of the part that I need to replace. I have a snapper dealer in town and so I will ask them for a woodruff key (or half-moon key). I figured it was going to be an easy fix, I just dfidn't know what to call the part that I am looking for.

It is called a woodruff key and shaped like a half moon, they should know what you are talking about if you explain it to them as well as you explained it to me