Vince O.
Vince O., Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Over 30 years experience repairing lawn and garden equipment. Chainsaws, mowers,blowers and trimmers
32407143

Craftsman Professional 33 10 HP snowblower. New in 2009.

Craftsman Professional 33" 10 HP snowblower. New in 2009. Vibrates severely when impeller is engaged. Impeller has no play, noise or rough spot when spun by hand. Machine runs/operates fine otherwise.

Vince O. :

Hello,check for a bent auger and/or impeller blade.A chunk of ice can bend them.

JACUSTOMER-nm6iqn71- :

Nothing bent. The vibration is in sync with the impeller, or something internal, too fast to be the slower revolving auger.

Vince O. :

What is the model?

JACUSTOMER-nm6iqn71- :

model

JACUSTOMER-nm6iqn71- :

model 31AE9061799 247.88033.0 sears no. 1J127g10004 I mistakenly said it was a 10 hp, it is a Tecumseh 12 hp, impeller/auger gear box model 618-04515

Vince O. :

Did you run it with the belt cover off so you could check the auger pulleys? Do you see any scrapes or marks in the impeller housing that could indicate a problem there? It is possible to have a bearing problem.Try removing auger belt from top pulley and grab the auger pulley to see if any play when not tight from belt tension.

JACUSTOMER-nm6iqn71- :

Hi Vince, due to the late hour and darkness, I will have to remove belt cover tomorrow and get back to you. There are no scrapes or marks on the housing other than snow, ice wear. There is very little play in the shaft, not enough to allow the impeller to have insufficient clearance. Visually, it does not appear to wobble while spinning. Shall I contact you tomorrow by email using my pass word, please advise. Thanks, Tom

Vince O. :

Just reply to this question.

Vince O. :

Vibrations

Vince O. :

Did you find anything?

JACUSTOMER-nm6iqn71- :

N o garage or indoor work space. Temp. has been below freezing here for over a month. Found no problem internally, but an ice block adhered behind the impeller. Used propane torch to melt ice, vibration ceased.