Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

Pull cord on a Sears #358.791580 wacker won't retract. How…

Customer Question
Pull cord on a Sears...
Pull cord on a Sears #358.791580 weed wacker won't retract. How do I get access to/remove the pully? Do I have to remove the crankcase and flywheel to get at the pully?
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Small Engine
11/17/2010
Technician: J.R., Small Engine Technician replied 7 years ago
J.R.
J.R., Small Engine Technician
The shaft has to be separated from the engine. You will then need to take the clutch hub and clutch off of the front of the engine. The hub come off by using a torx kit down inside the hole where the drive cable fits in. Once you have the hub off you will need to remove the clutch. Take the spark plug out of it. Get about 2 feet of clean 1/4" diameter rope and put about half of it in the sparkplug hole. You will then want to grab the shoes of the clutch with a pair of channel lock pliers and then turn it in the direction the arrow shows on the clutch. Once you have the clutch off you can then remove the starter housing.
quot;torx kit down inside the hole"? can you be more explicit? Torx Kit..this sounds like something very specialized..

Torx bit, Sorry about that.

graphic

JR,

What exactly does the bit do? How does it work? I can get an allen wrench in the hole at the end of the shaft (where the cable fits in) but how does it get the drum off? When I turn the allen wrench the shaft turns and so does the crankshaft.

By the way..the torx bit doesn't look long enough to reach the shaft.

I just used that picture to show you a torx bit. You will want to get a set of long t handle torx bits. You will want to take the sparkplug out and put the rope in the plug hole. That will work as a piston stop when you loosen the torx screw down in the hole.
you turn the bit counter clockwise and a retainer(or something) releases the drum and clutch and washer and the pully and spring starter come out the back of the housing?
Turn the bit ccw. It will loosen the screw that hold that drum on. You will then need to remove the clutch it self. You will then remove the screws from the housing and it will all come off. Flip it over and the starter will be down inside there.
J.R.
J.R., Small Engine Technician
The drum opening seems pretty small to get a bit into it. I'll see what's available and give it a wack. Thanks...
Thank you.
J.R.
J.R.
J.R., Small Engine Technician