J.R.
J.R., Small Engine Technician
Experience:  Owner of outdoor power equipment business, repairing all makes and models.
13636126

Have a Honda GX 160 5.5hp engine, hard starting, doesnt seem

Customer Question

Have a Honda GX 160 5.5hp engine, hard starting, doesn't seem to have any spark, could it coil or ignition?
Jim
Category: Small Engine
Expert:  J.R. replied 7 years ago.
Take the air filter off of it and put a little bit of gas into the intake and then try to start it. Let me know what it does.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I have done this and still will not start, no spark at the spark plug.
Expert:  J.R. replied 7 years ago.
The ignition coil is likely the problem.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
So is this a simple change out and what is the cost?
Expert:  J.R. replied 7 years ago.
Just take the top cover off of the engine and you will see the coil. They cost around $40.00
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

None of these were right, I was told to disconnect the oil alert wire and the engine fired up. So if I would have changed the coil it would have cost me 75.00 according to Honda. Sorry but your guesses where leading me the wrong way.

Thanks

Expert:  J.R. replied 7 years ago.
It was not a guess. Not all engines have an oil alert on them. Had you stated the engine had the oil alert then yes I would have told you to check it. Unplugging it did not solve the problem, it just removed it. You will still need to replace the oil alert.