Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

Small Engine

I have a Briggs & Stratton 190CC series 875 engine on a Troy

Bilt Power Washer. The engine...
I have a Briggs & Stratton 190CC series 875 engine on a Troy Bilt Power Washer. The engine runs very rough and when the pressure handle is pulled for pressure the engine dies. I have done everything I know, changed gaskets, cleaned and lubed throttle, cleaned bowl, checked for manifold leaks. The only thing I have not done is replace the filter which seems clean and replace the float which appears to be ok.

Any suggestions? I am at a loss.
9/6/2010
Ranwell1
Ranwell1, Small Engine Technician
Chat Conversation Started
Ranwell1 :

The actual probelm is most likely a dirty carburetor. Some of the small passages are partially restricted. Even though you may have cleaned the bowl, that is not the problem. This might help.

Ranwell1 :

Here might be what I call an emergency fix, but I want you to still read the rest of the answer as this may be just a temporary if it works.

The nut that holds on the carburetor bowl has several small holes in it. Some are on the sides and one may be in the end. In order to completely clean the carburetor correctly, you MUST clean these holes with a tag wire or a jet drill. (If a jet drill is used, DO NOT use a drill that is bigger than the hole or the engine will run too rich.) If the Picture does not show up, click on the Blue Text and you will see the picture.

[IMAGE][SRC][/SRC][ALT][/ALT][WIDTH]100[/WIDTH][HEIGHT]100[/HEIGHT][STYLE][/STYLE][/IMAGE]
View Full Image

Here is my comprehensive carburetor and fuel answer that may give you some ideas.

As engines sit or get older, fuel that is left in the carburetor can turn to gum and varnish and cause this and other problems. Also, any gasoline that was left in a gas can for a period of more than 30 days must be discarded because it also has begun to turn to varnish.

Today's gasoline's contain MTBE and alcohol. (Ethanol) They turn to "Junk and garbage" very quickly. Alcohol is partially water (H2O). And they call it "Oxygenated fuels! It is the oxygen that breaks down the organic compounds in the fuel and turns the gas to "Garbage" (Gum and varnish) The fuels we had just a few years ago had no alcohol in it and would store for longer periods of time before going stale... and fuel stabilizers do almost nothing to prevent the fuel from going bad with the changes in today's fuels.

Do not buy gas from the "Discount" Stations. The discount stations get a reduced price on gas because they may be buying fuel that is nearly 30 days old already. You may be getting fuel that's nearly stale right from the pump when buying from a discount station. Purchase your fuel from the well-known stations such as Shell, BP, Sonoco, Phillips 66 etc.

More than 70% of all of our repairs in our lawn mower business are due to this same issue. You most likely have dirt, gum, varnish...etc in your carburetor plugging up the small passageways and jets in the carburetor.

The carburetor must be removed from the engine. Clean all parts with carburetor cleaner and blow out all the small holes and passageways with compressed air. Remove all of the non-metallic parts since the carburetor cleaner will cause them to be disfigured decompose and plug the carburetor as time goes on.

Wash the carburetor cleaner off of the metal parts by washing them in warm, soapy water then rinsing with clean water. Dry them by blowing it off with compressed air. Make sure that all the passageways are blown dry before reassembling.

Reassemble using a NEW carburetor rebuild kit.

DO NOT TRY TO REASSEMBLE WITHOUT USING A COMPLTE CARBURETOR KIT! You will just end up having to do the job again.

ALWAYS clean the fuel tank and replace the fuel line when doing this repair or you may have to do it all over again. The inside of the fuel line disintegrates over time and these small pieces of rubber will plug up the carburetor too. Dirt and water from a dirty fuel tank will also plug up the carburetor. Find the Model, type and serial or code numbers off of the engine and take them to your local dealer to get the carburetor repair kit.

If you do the work yourself, take pictures or at least make a drawing of where all the linkages, gaskets, and component parts go. Correct reassembly is critical.

If the carburetor still doesn't work correctly, you may have to take it to someone who has an "Ultra-sonic" cleaning machine. This machine uses carb cleaner and ultrasonic vibrations to get the very small passageways clean when traditional methods fail.

If you don't feel comfortable with this kind of repair I would suggest sending it to a reputable shop.

Feel free to contact me here at this question anytime ...even after you hit the "ACCEPT" button ...and I will try to help further.

Please click "ACCEPT" or I won't get paid.

You may also consider sending a bonus if I have been helpful, Please leave POSITIVE feedback for me as this is how I'm rated. Remember, a neutral is nearly as bad as a negative. If not satisfied, contact me and I will make it right. Thanks

JACUSTOMER-iaf981ve- :

I am a mechanical engineer and I have tried all of your suggestions except ultrasonic cleaning the carburetor and using safety wire on the small holes in the carburetor. I saw no residue or varnish coating and cleaned everything thoroughly.

Ranwell1 :

This is a very, VEry common probelm with these. I am 99% sure that this is the problem. Try the bowl nut cleaning and see what happens. There is also a possibility that the carburetor can not be cleaned and may need replaced.

Ranwell1 :

You can see if the carburetor is the problem by assidn a very small anounjt of gas into the carburetor through the air cleaner port. (Take the air filter off first ) If it runs until the gas is vurned up, the you know the carburetor is the problem

JACUSTOMER-iaf981ve- :

Can you recommend a reliable engine shop for Briggs & Stratton in Houston? I think I will go there and let them overhaul the carburetor. I live in Clear Lake South of Houston.

Ranwell1 :

I live in Indiana, So I ould be of no help. You can go to the briggs & stratton website and use their dealer locater to find a good dealer. You may also want to check the yellow pages.

Ranwell1 :

This should not be a bery expensive repair.. About 1 hor labor or less pluss a $10 carb kit.

JACUSTOMER-iaf981ve- :

Thanks for your help and I will accept so you get paid. Thanks for the help.

Ranwell1
Ranwell1, Small Engine Technician
Ranwell1
Ranwell1
Ranwell1, Small Engine Technician