Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

Generac Guardian 5503 - battery charger problem. I installed…

Customer Question
Generac Guardian 5503 - battery...
Generac Guardian 5503 - battery charger problem. I installed a new Generac 5503. Since I am off the grid, I did not use the automatic transfer switch that came with it. After the generator has been working fine for about 2 days, the battery is now dead and the generator won't start. Is this because the battery charger is not in the generator itself, but in the transfer switch? Do I necessarily have to install the transfer switch to get the battery charged? Thanks, Oliver
Submitted: 12 years ago.Category: Small Engine
9/7/2010
Technician: Hank F., Technician replied 12 years ago
Hank F.
Hank F., Technician

The battery charger is in the genset itself, but operates from the 240 utility.

For you to have battery charging, you are either going to need to rewire the charger to run from the output of the set, or use an external battery charger.

I would suggest using an external charger, as the built in charger only charges at a rate of about 0.5A. Unless you run the genset almost constantly, it will not keep your battery charged.

Another option is to install a solar charger.

Your answer was not correct. I contacted Generac's Technical Support and they informed me that the charger is not in the genset, but in the automatic transfer switch.