Small Engine

Small Engine Troubleshooting Problems? Ask a Mechanic Now.

What tools are required to remove the starter on a Deere…

What tools are required to...
What tools are required to remove the starter on a John Deere L118 Lawn Tractor. The starter gear is cracked. Once doing this what other parts should be replaced and where may they be purchased?
8/29/2010
J.R.
J.R., Small Engine Technician
The only tools that should be needed are a 7/16" and 1/2" wrench. Unhook the negative battery cable. You will then remove the cable off of the starter. Remove the 2 bolts from the mount of the starter and it should come off. The gear will be held on with a hog ring. There is a special tool used to remove it. It is briggs part number 19522.
What size Torx is required to remove the bolts? Are the starters for the 20HP and 22HP the same. I have removed the hog ring. Is the tool also required to install?
You can do it without the tool, but it is a pain. It should be a T30.
J.R.
J.R., Small Engine Technician