Jon K.
Jon K., Small Engine Diagnostic Expert
Experience:  Gold certified Stihl tech, Service Manager for a rental/repair shop.Certified in most small engines
29067132

how do you remove a starter from a briggs 16hp vanguard

Category: Small Engine
Expert:  Jon K. replied 6 years ago.

Can I get the numbers off your engine. Here is a link for what I am looking for.

Briggs Number Locater

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
model 303447 type 1147-A1 Ser# XXXXX
Expert:  Jon K. replied 6 years ago.
Thank you. The first thing you will need to do is to remove the front engine cover There should be about 6 bolts that hold it in place. If you have anything bolted to the outside of the cover, please remove that as well and leave it connected to wiring or hoses. It can be confusing, but take a little time and the whole cover will come off. Once you have that off there are two bolts at the front of the starter that hold it in place. There will also be a large wire connected to the starter. Before disconnecting this please also disconnect the negative terminal on the battery, this way there is no chance of arcing the starter wire to the block.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I can't find a way to remove the top bolt. I have tried a 1/2" swivel socket and still couldn't get the bott loose. I ended up having to disassemble the starter to remove. Is there a speciial tool required for this?
Expert:  Jon K. replied 6 years ago.

No there is not a special tool to remove it. I normally use a 1/4" drive socket on an extension to fit into the small area.

A regular open end wrench may work also. Some of these have a torx (star) insert in them that makes life a lot easier.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I have tried a 1/4" swivel socket with a 1/2 " swivel sock and still can't get a good enough grip to get the bolt loose. Do I need to buy a 1/4" swivel socket that is used without a swivel adapter? A one piece swivel.
Expert:  Jon K. replied 6 years ago.
You may have to, I don't understand why it was so tight. I don't have any special sockets or swivels and have never had a problem. The only advice I can offer at this point is to make sure you are using a 6 point socket. Stay away from the 12 point sockets as they slip very easily.
Expert:  Jon K. replied 6 years ago.
If you are using a 6 point socket and still can not get it out you may be dealing with a rust or corrosion issue. If that is the case try tightening the bolt first. That will normally break the corrosion so that you can back it out.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I have used 6 point sockets. The Briggs manual does not say how or what tools are needed to get to the top bolt. Guess I will try a 1/4" swivel to try and solve my problem. Thanks for your help.
Expert:  Jon K. replied 6 years ago.
No problem, there are no special tools used on these that Briggs offers.

Edited by Jon K on 8/20/2010 at 12:41 AM EST
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thankk you for your help. I will pay you for your time. Thank You.
Expert:  Jon K. replied 6 years ago.

Thank you Sir, I have one last suggestion. If all else fails you can remove the flywheel to gain access to the side of that bolt.

Expert:  Jon K. replied 6 years ago.
Sorry, emails are not allowed woth this site, your email was X'd out. Feel free to respond to me on this thread and i will see it.